free website stats program Battery Removal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Removal

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, bought my 2007 Heritage Softail Classic, just last week. I've since bought the battery tender from
my local HD dealer. They told me to install the leads on the positive and negative terminals on the battery, and then they just hang under the seat and then hook the charger to them. Problem is, I can't find out how to get to the battery! I have been reading the manual that came with the bike, but I did not see anything about getting to the battery.

Sorry for the stupid question, but, I would really appreciate a walkthrough on this, I really don't want to screw this up.

Thanks for any assistance!

Jim

You have to remove the seat and possibly the hold down clamp for the battery. Remove the neg cable first and install last to prevent sparks.

They use a 10 MM wrench.

Either cable will open the circuit but if you remove the pos first and short the wrench to ground you could cause all kinds of problems not to mention blowing up the battery in your face . Play it safe and remove the neg. first then it wont matter if you accidently short the pos. to ground (frame) because the circuit will allready be open (no sparks ) no shorted electronic componets no battery acid all over the bike and yourself better to play it safe remember a battery when charging makes hydrogen gas .

Back