free website stats program Battery Reinstallation? | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Reinstallation?

Mueller

Last fall I removed the batteries from my 2009 Low and my son's 2004 Custom. I'm sure the removal was not the way a mechanic would take them out but they now sit on a table all charged up. My question is what is the best procedure to re-hook and get them back in the bike. Do you remove the seat or what procedure do you guys use?

Thanks in advance
Mueller

If you haven't done so purchase a H-D Service manual. It will more than pay for itself in helpful tips... It will give you the most direct & safest way to reinstall your battery & other useful guidance on projects you may undertake on your bike. That was one of my 1st purchases and I haven't regreted it at all. :s

Agree w/HarryB737 on this one. I changed the battery on my 05 XL1200C last spring & it was a bear. Extremely tight working conditions & the ground strap was nearly impossible to reach without my "McGyver skills" & proper tool attachments. I know the procedures are in your owner's manual, but the service manual would cover things in more detail.

Mueller, the other posters have you covered, just remember to have the FOBS nearby your 2009 HD; (your son's 2004 has button FOBS (if equipped with HD OEM factory alarm) which do not auto-activate, and the MAXI fuses pulled on both bikes before beginning.

1.) Make sure all the cable terminal contacts are scraped shiny and coated lightly with dielectric grease (tube is $9.99 HD dealer).

2.) Install the battery, connect the positive (red) terminal first (to prevent accidental grounding or sparking)

3.) Connect the negative (black) terminal last (frame, engine and metal parts electrically connected are all negatively charged).

4.) Install the Maxi-fuse...

You should be good to go, but do check out the related documentation and service manual to be sure.

The maxi-fuse comes right off the pos terminal of the battery on left side.

maxi-fuse09xl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back