free website stats program Battery Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Questions

dangerdan

I need a new battery...This one is 3 yrs old and will not hold a charge anymore . Bike puts out 14.5 volts , so that's not an issue.

There are Jell batteries.
There are deep cycle batteries
There are expensive batteries with greater output.

Is there any advantage in using the above VS the standard one available at the Harley dealer.

Gel batteries has been covered by Hobbit.

Deep cycle batteries are used in applications like boats and RV's where they are drawn on and depleted without recharging to almost dead then recharged without damaging the battery unlike regular batteries. A regular battery in use will have the lifespan shortened greatly if depleted to this level.

The AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries that HD sells are a good choice and give good service life.

The HO batteries as was said are for bigger engines and really not needed on a stock/slightly modified motor.

If it makes you feel better you can up the CCA (cold cranking amps) of your battery to the next size as long as it's physical dimensions fits in your bike for a bit more kick.

I need a new battery...This one is 3 yrs old and will not hold a charge anymore . Bike puts out 14.5 volts , so that's not an issue.

There are Jell batteries.
There are deep cycle batteries
There are expensive batteries with greater output.

Is there any advantage in using the above VS the standard one available at the Harley dealer.

Yes there is! AGM Batteries. They are a completely sealed Battery. AGM Stands for Absorbed Glass Matt. It is a deep cycle Batterie. It withstands more vibrations because of it's superior design, it does not leak and can be placed upside down, sideways and is commonly used in Marine Vehicles as it also does not contaminate by being completely sealed. It delivers better cold cranking. There is more info on this link.
I bought one. They are simply a better quality battery and from memory last's up to 5 times longer than a conventional Batterie. So it is claimed. A little more on cost, but you get what you pay for. Be aware of charging this Batterie outside the Bikes own charger. You can't just use any charger on this one. To be sure on how, what and why. read up on the Batterie's specs e.t.c Here is a link to some info.
http://www.absorbedpower.com/battery/products/

Thanks for that link Ray.

I find one contradicting statement they make however.

In the beginning they state:
Originally developed in 1980 for military use, AGM is a totally sealed (no caps, but vented for over-charge situation),

Then they go on to state:
The battery is vacuum sealed to ensure full penetration of the electrolytic gel through the separators and the plates glass matts.

Seems they wanted it both ways. :D

Just curious if that was a typo.

They are great batteries in any event.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the AGM battery..If my HD has one I'll be getting one in the spring..

Thanks to all .....good info

Back