free website stats program Battery problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery problems

maduxfn31

hi guys I am having a problem with my battery I think,battery charges up good on charger but does not stay charged when on bike. Im unsure of the age of the battery Ive had bike for about 4 years and never had any problems with it in the past. Ihave tested the regulator it tests out ok and I dont have an ohmmeter to test out the stator. Does anyone know of a way to test the stator without the ohmmeter and is it possible that my battery is bad and itd just not taking a charge from the bike. I have also tested all wires and cables and they all test ok. thanks in advance for your help.

Ive had bike for about 4 years and never had any problems with it in the past. .

If you tested the regulator output and it's ok, your stator most likely is ok. Since you already have 4 plus years on the battery, I would change it. A weak battery will cause your regulator and stator to work unnecessary overtime.
You just can't go wrong having a fresh battery in your bike.

I would go with a new battery too. You can buy ohmmeters for little money. The digital readout works the best.

they said it all above posts, peace of mind and not wait till you won't start in some place loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong distance from home..:newsmile055:

get a hd batt..:newsmile011:

If you tested the regulator output and it's ok, your stator most likely is ok. Since you already have 4 plus years on the battery, I would change it. A weak battery will cause your regulator and stator to work unnecessary overtime.
You just can't go wrong having a fresh battery in your bike.

I'm sure that on my 2000 FXDS dyna,,,, the cause for the stator and voltage regulator problem(BURNT) was the battery shorted out and causd the OVERLOAD....
A battery over 2 years is most MOST bikes get today...
BATTERY a lot cheaper than a 130 reg/300 stator PLUS LABOR...

I would replace the bat and like HOOP says check to see what out put is.... about 30/40 amps at 2000 rpm? i think thats about right.. look in the BOOK and see.

On my 2000 dyna ,,,, I had to be careful when changing oil(filter) as oil would get INTO the stator plug in front of the motor and it would fill up???? hmmmmm maybe that is short enough to cause the problem I had also...

WHAT SAY YOU HOOP or GLIDER? on my oil in side stator plug

signed....BUBBIE

New battery is cheap insurance here, u can also load test your old one 4 years on a battery is pretty good here in Jax. Florida

On my 2000 dyna ,,,, I had to be careful when changing oil(filter) as oil would get INTO the stator plug in front of the motor and it would fill up???? hmmmmm maybe that is short enough to cause the problem I had also...

signed....BUBBIE

That's a good point Bubbie. Motor oil is certainly something I would not want in my electrical connectors especially on ones where there are high amounts of current flow such as the ones we have at that connector.

Thanks for the input guys I figured it was the battery but I just wanted to hear it from some other people. Bub I have the same problem with my stator plug catching the oil it kind of a stupid designed place for the plug I might look into relocating that plug to eliminate that problem thanks again

Thanks for the input guys I figured it was the battery but I just wanted to hear it from some other people. Bub I have the same problem with my stator plug catching the oil it kind of a stupid designed place for the plug I might look into relocating that plug to eliminate that problem thanks again

BESIDES being careful at oil filter change time....I usually placed a shop rag or two over the plug and checked to see if any oil LEAKED on the rags after changing ....

I don't know when they moved the stator connection from right in front-under the oil filter, but I'm sure it has been an OVER-LOOKED PROBLEM for some time... All the oil i saw COULD OF caused a short...

I was Careful after that to check after each filter change, that was easy enough to do as mentioned above.... MOVING the full set-up connector?? BUT where????? wires are short com'n out of the stator hole....

The plug is set inside a NICE FULL rubber boot and It wouldn't seem to get the OIL into the main plug but it DOES...

signed....BUBBIE

Back