free website stats program Battery problems/ generator? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery problems/ generator?

OK I found the regulator through ACCEL, and according to there wire diagram every thing is wired right. So now I just need to figure out if the gererator and regulator and battery are working right, I did a load test on the Batt and it test a little weak under load but still ok, Now what do I need To check?

Well if your sure about the wiring to the 3 post regulator, I would say it is time to place a quality voltmeter across the battery. Set the meter on a range that will allow you to see to 1/100s of a volt (12.XX). First take a reading (reading #1) with everything off (lights etc). Start her up and see what your output is at 1000 RPM (reading #2). Turn on lights and get a reading (reading #3). Take it up to 2000 RPM and get a reading (reading #4). Take it up to 3000 and take a reading (reading #5)
It really should peak out by now and not continue to climb. I would expect to see 3000 RPM to redline to remain flat at a fixed voltage. That tells you the regulator is "regulating" and doing it's job..

If at any time the reading exceeds 14.50 volts, shut it down.
A nice safe charging voltage would be something like 13.50 to maybe 14.25. Since it is a generator I don't expect to see much from reading #2. Reading #4 should be something in mid 13's or so.

Remember it is normal to see a lead acid battery out-gas and bubble hydrogen while being charged. If it has too much electrolyte in it, there won't be any room for heat expansion so it has to go somewhere.
If the battery really starts to out-gas heavily and the voltage is only like 13.25 volts, I would say your battery is shot.

See what you get and let us know. Be careful around the out-gassing hydrogen.

I'm chiming in with some info from my Clymer (oh-0) 1966 Shovel manual.
Quote; After any charging system wiriing or component has been disconnected, the generator must be polorized before starting the engine. Failure to polarize the gen. may result in burned or stuck voltage regulator contacts and possible damage to the wiring and the gen. windings.
Note; make sure the batt. is in good condition before performing the following procedure.
After all wiring is connected (do not start engine) Momentarily connect a heavy jumper wire between BAT. and GEN. terminals on the regulator.

That's all there is about it in the book. I have no idea what to do if the engine has been started without the polarizing done. Hoople or Ultra will probably know. I have forgotten everything I ever knew about electricity because it's .... well.... electricity. Magic in it's highest form in my mind.

If I can look anything else up, let me know.

Always remember to re flash the charging system to polarize the generator each time you disconnect the battery:s

Good point & it sure won't hurt to do it. We definitely don't want the generator trying to charge the battery with reverse polarity.
That sure would make it boil out.:s

I'm chiming in with some info from my Clymer (oh-0) 1966 Shovel manual.
Quote; After any charging system wiriing or component has been disconnected, the generator must be polorized before starting the engine. Failure to polarize the gen. may result in burned or stuck voltage regulator contacts and possible damage to the wiring and the gen. windings.
Note; make sure the batt. is in good condition before performing the following procedure.
After all wiring is connected (do not start engine) Momentarily connect a heavy jumper wire between BAT. and GEN. terminals on the regulator.

That's all there is about it in the book. I have no idea what to do if the engine has been started without the polarizing done. Hoople or Ultra will probably know. I have forgotten everything I ever knew about electricity because it's .... well.... electricity. Magic in it's highest form in my mind.

If I can look anything else up, let me know.

If you dont polarize the generator it could charge backwards and fry the battery and all the charging system, always polarize after disconnecting or charging the battery before you start the engine 6 or 12 volts doesnt matter

That doesnt sound good cause i have never polarized the Generator after disconnecting the battery or any other part of the charging system. I sure hope that running it that way has not ruined the gen. or the regulator. So then I want to jump the gen on which post to the pos. batt post? This bike is killing me cause now i cant even get it to start.

have had recent practice with generator/battery issuses. on generator you will see the letter F above one of the poles(where regulator is wired in). I keep a peice of wire just long enough to reach from positive terminal on battery to touch that pole. btw Prestolite generator. If battery is swollin or bubbling usally a cell problem. is the battery real hot? not heat from oil tank,just it is hot. energy is heat and has to go somewhere. hope this helps

Back