free website stats program Battery Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Problem

Hi folks. I'm a bit puzzled about my battery.
I have a Sporty with about 1700 on the clock. I keep it attached to an Optimate 4 tender when I'm not riding it - apart from a 3 week period about a month ago which it spent at my dealership having the 1200 conversion done I while I was away. I rode it very little up to this week because of bad weather and salted roads - I just did the 30-60 break in.

I've put two different battery chargers on to the battery and both are going into "Recovery" mode trying to restore it from being sulphonated. I took her out for a good ride with Hobbit and a few friends on Wednesday and she ran well but I have noticed a moment's hesitation before the engine turns over on pressing the start button.

I've checked the battery with a voltmeter and it's reading about 12.7-12.9.
It displays high 13s when the engine is running.

I don't know why the battery has gotten into such a poor state if the tenders are reading true. I don't know what else I could be doing to keep it in good order.:newsmile030:

Any thoughts or advice. Thanks guys.

I don't know if the 883 starter is LESS AMPS than a 1200 starter?????
On MY conversion to a 1200 and HIGHER COMPRESSION, MY starter would do about the same thing... IT would PUSH against the motor THEN kick over...
I don't think YOUR conversion is any different from mine.... I did mine on a 1995 in 96... I would ask if the starter is SMALLER on the amps... I had the impression on MY 1995 bike back then IT WAS LESS AMPS....
I kept the starter stock until it WAS a problem and THEN had a friend BEEF IT UP and rebuild it .... They have starter with the more power to turn over the BIGGER motor...
DID YOU WHIP THE MONSTER HOBBIT HAS???

signed....BUBBIE
I would always be ahead of Hobbit as I stay in the fast lane (right of center line) MIND THE GAP! over there.

Thanks for that Bubbie. That's a very good point which I had not thought of. Could that have led to a big depletion of the battery? I'll see how it goes and maybe see about a more powerful starter later if needs be. I wasn't aware that the 1200 had a different starter to the 883.

Our ride was at a leisurely pace :D. Hobbit had his wife 2up on the Glide so he wasn't attacking any speed limits. It was a great day's ride in lovely Spring weather. I'm glad winter is through here. Hope you're getting some nice miles in.

Pulled out my parts list for 93 and 94 sportsters and at that time it was different starter motors so the 1200 and 883 had different parts that may be the route cause of the problem if things havent changed

Brian

I'm sure your dealer uses the Midtronics Battery tesrer, it is a very good unit and if the battery passes it is good, there are no false readings possible using this unit, I sure would not put out any of my own hard earned money for something under warranty, and testing it in the bike the unit can also do a complete charging system check to make sure there are no other problems.

Okay, I have a battery question now. :) I have an 05 deuce with just over 11K on it. It still has the original battery, should I take it in and have it tested?
(Since I've been reading and if I understand this correctly, a low battery can cause other problems that I want to avoid)

I do keep the bike on a tender in the winter. Hope this is the right place to ask the question. :s

5 Years is a good life span for a battery Joy.

How much do you like to push the bike? :D

Remember the 05 bike could have been built in 04.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. LOL, I believe I am seeing a couple of new batteries in the near future. I'll probably go ahead & convince hubby that we both need them, his bike is an 04. Thanks!

I'm sure your dealer uses the Midtronics Battery tesrer, it is a very good unit and if the battery passes it is good, there are no false readings possible using this unit, I sure would not put out any of my own hard earned money for something under warranty, and testing it in the bike the unit can also do a complete charging system check to make sure there are no other problems.

Thanks Chopper. That's reassuring. I'd prefer to save my money too and put it to something more enjoyable! :D

I'm a huge fan of gel batteries. If you have an old acid battery in your bike i'd reccomend changing it to a newer gel battery. The reason being is this: As much as your bike vibrates the plates in acid batteries can rattle loose and short stuff out causing electrical problems beyond just the battery. Gel batteries are a little more higher cost, but worth it for me.

Went to start her yesterday to ride to the dealer to have the battery and charging system check out but she wouldn't start. There was enough power for the little red light to flash for the alarm but not enough for the starter motor.
Man with a van came and took her away. I'm going over there later today to see what's happening. The dealership say this happens a lot this time of the year with the cold etc. but surely not for a garaged bike on a battery tender?
Hopefully they'll use the unit Chopper described and I get a new battery.:)

Back