free website stats program battery not charging | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

battery not charging

That is not a bad number. Where all the voltage drop went (back in entry point #21 of this thread) without any regulator fin heat, I have no idea. The current had to go somewhere,,, either to charge the battery or into heated regulator fins. But neither one happened.

These regulators are full wave bridge (no center taps) so the output of the stator at full load should be somewhere around 16 volts w/ about 40 amps output. Sinking 40 amps into a near dead short can't be hidden but somehow we did not see it.

I hate to see anyone buy parts they don't need, but if the ground pigtail eyelet on the regulator is grounded properly, the hair dryer was at least 1000 watts, stator pins to ground read infinity (what you said in entry point #1) and based on the other info we know to this point, I would say the stator is OK and the regulator is new defective.

kinda what i've been thinking. i'm not a expert mechanic but do know a good bit, this thing blows my mind,getting new reg 2mar(had to order one from hd)whenever i find the little #*^@*n problem, i'll post it thanks for all your help..good people on here!

kinda what i've been thinking. i'm not a expert mechanic but do know a good bit, this thing blows my mind,getting new reg 2mar(had to order one from hd)whenever i find the little #*^@*n problem, i'll post it thanks for all your help..good people on here!

Still think it is worth opening up the primary and taking a look at the stator. It will be obvious if any of the coils are burnt by visual inspection. And it will only cost you the price of a new primary gasket and a qt. of HD Formula + or whatever you use in your primary.

TQ

Back