free website stats program battery not charging | Harley Davidson Forums

battery not charging

2004 roadking, bike would't start,figured battery,replaced battery,one week later same problem,read all the tips on line,everything pointed to regulator,changed reg. same problem battery not charging,here is what i have
unpluged harness from reg to stator
on plug going to stator checked pins to ground ok no ohms
checked pin to pin 0.01 ohms
26 volts ac at idle goes up with throttle
is it possible that the reg i bought is bad,is there something else that can be draining power.....help at the end of the road

Is it logging any DTC errors? I'm wondering if you pull the primary inspection cover is the fluid black and smell burnt? If so it's probably the stator is toast. There are some good reads and info in the self-help section concerning diagnosing different areas of the charging system.

2004 roadking, bike would't start,figured battery,replaced battery,one week later same problem,read all the tips on line,everything pointed to regulator,changed reg. same problem battery not charging,here is what i have
unpluged harness from reg to stator
on plug going to stator checked pins to ground ok no ohms
26 volts ac at idle goes up with throttle
is it possible that the reg i bought is bad,is there something else that can be draining power.....help at the end of the road

Have you done the easy stuff like checking the battery cable connections at both ends? In fact, I suggest removing both cable ends, wire brushing them and reinstalling. For both cables.

Then give the primary fluid a sniff test. If it smells burnt, then the stator is probably toast, even if it is putting out Vac appropriately under no load conditions.

The sniff test is not definitive, but if the fluid smells bad (burnt) it is pretty likely the stator.

You can have a bad VR even if new. Is your system a three phase or single phase?

There should be test instructions for both in the self help area. Additionally, Hoople should be on shortly to give you some pointers on testing the VR or other tricks to check out the charging system.

TQ

cleaned all post and cable ends,fluid doesn't smell crapy,can a bleed test be run on the reg. some articles states that cant be done, if i check voltage at plug on reg i get 12+ volts on each pin ..where stator plugs in

The regulator is just a bunch of diodes,they are one way devices you should have 26vac at stator at idle,at the battery you hould read +13.76vdc or so with a fully charged battery at idle.If you have the correct voltage at battery at idle there is nothing wrong with the charging system you have a drain on battery.If you only see +12vdc at battery your charging system is not working,and or you have a wiring problem between regulator and battery.At the left side of reg is output to battery it should be +13.76vdc or so.good luck..

goes up with throttle

Are you sure about that? What range did you have the meter on. Was the meter on auto range? If so set it on a fixed 200 ohm range. Not that it changes anything, but that number you read is really too low.

When you say "goes up with throttle",,, goes up to what? 1000 RPM =? 2000=? 3000=?

can a bleed test be done on the regulator,some articles on here states that it cant be done,when i remove plug from stator at reg. and check the terminals i get 12+ volts on each one, does that mean reg is shot...this is with engine and switch off

Back