free website stats program Battery not charging | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery not charging

Hoople, just checked the stator under load. ac voltage dropped to 1.6 volts at idle and it never got higher than 13 volts at high RPM. I say that makes it a stator problem. Thanks for the tip.

Update. Replaced the stator, rotor. Bike works fine now. Old stator and rotor were in good shape, however the wires coming off of the stator were shot. I guess a slow fade and not a one time failure. Also no burnt smell until very close to the stator itself. Thanks for all of the help !

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. Replaced the stator, rotor. Bike works fine now. Old stator and rotor were in good shape, however the wires coming off of the stator were shot. I guess a slow fade and not a one time failure. Also no burnt smell until very close to the stator itself. Thanks for all of the help !

Great. Unfortunately, you may find that the VR fails in the not too distant future. Seems to be the way, and just happened to me again a couple of weeks ago. You can check the VR for bleed back since that seems to be what fails once the stator has fried.

TQ

Also. Did you notice any new vibrations in the days leading up to it failing? I had been riding my 2000 Roadking and suddenly noticed a new vibration? A few days later I rode it out of town and shut it off. Came out. Battery Dead. In my case once I stripped it down I found the Rotor magnets had slid around (guess I shouldn't ride it so hard) and they were all on one side of Rotor (thus the vibration) and so I would get a bit of charging, then nothing. Etc etc. Just another thing to check if you have it apart.

is this a common problem ? I didn't think that was even possible

Congrats on the fix, I had a battery problem not too long ago. I found my battery connections were loose. Tighten them back up and havent had a problem since. Knock on wood.

Also. Did you notice any new vibrations in the days leading up to it failing? I had been riding my 2000 Roadking and suddenly noticed a new vibration? A few days later I rode it out of town and shut it off. Came out. Battery Dead. In my case once I stripped it down I found the Rotor magnets had slid around (guess I shouldn't ride it so hard) and they were all on one side of Rotor (thus the vibration) and so I would get a bit of charging, then nothing. Etc etc. Just another thing to check if you have it apart.

Hmmm. Do you think anyone ever used an impact wrench on the compensator nut?

TQ

is this a common problem ? I didn't think that was even possible
Can't say if its common but it happened? I think once they come loose (and they are cemented in place) then they slide around until they come up against a magnet that isn't loose. That's where they stay. The magnetic force must keep them attached to the rotor but they all sit together in on big line so they make rotor off balance which causes vibration in motor! Update: I did a search on the internet for magnets coming loose on rotors and found quite a few cases? Wasn't just on Harleys either.

Hmmm. Do you think anyone ever used an impact wrench on the compensator nut?

TQ
I don't know? It happened about a month after I got it from the Police auction. I do know they have/had their own factory trained Harley tech that services them and the manual tells you to use the impact although I never have? I just use primary chain lock and a breaker bar and socket. Sometimes I need to heat nut but usually it comes loose with breaker bar.?

Back