free website stats program Battery Not Charging | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Not Charging

My 1986 FXRS is not keeping the battery charged. I rode about 60 miles today and stopped for a cold one. When I tried to start my bike the battery was DEAD. I got a jump start and rode home. Bike ran fine, but when I got home the battery was still dead. I put a charge on the battery and it held a charge fine and checked out fine. Any help in solving this problem would be geatly appreciated.

I think SPRINGERSTEVE98 has you covered, but depending on how old it is, I would pull the battery and take it to Hi/Lo or AutoZone and have it checked out first. Sounds suspicious to me.

TQ

Check, your stater plug... It may have come loose or shorted out. Happened to me once and after replacing I used clear silicone to secure the new one.

I think the FIRST thing you should do is check the voltage at the battery when it's running. You should be getting about 13-14 v. If you are getting voltage there, then suspect the battery. If less than 13v, suspect things upstream, like plug in, voltage reg, stator, etc.

Last edited:
My 1986 FXRS is not keeping the battery charged. I rode about 60 miles today and stopped for a cold one. When I tried to start my bike the battery was DEAD. I got a jump start and rode home. Bike ran fine, but when I got home the battery was still dead. I put a charge on the battery and it held a charge fine and checked out fine. Any help in solving this problem would be geatly appreciated.

I would to add to the following posts

I had the same issue on my 95 with a brand new Oddessy battery.
The battery charged great on the battery tender, but trying to start was hit and miss. I had the battery load tested and it was good.
I replaced all 3 battery cables and never had a problem since.

I see you have an 86. If you have never changed or cleaned the battery cables , now might be a good time.

DD...I think there was an issue about using a Battery Tender w/ an Oddessy type battery...think it was not enough charge current/voltage...maybe TQ can bring some light on the subject.

Back