free website stats program Battery Life Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Life Question

Hello All, I just bought a 2009 Sportster 1200 Low in June with just a tic over 4000 miles on it. I assume it has the original H-D battery in it. How long can I expect the battery to last? Regards, Low Sporty

That's kinda a loaded question that depends on several variables. But my 2007 bike still has the original HD battery in it. The previous owner only rode it on weekends and kept it on a battery tender unit all week while he was gone.

Climate conditions etc also play into battery life.

Just like RWB said, many variables but my original battery lasted 6 years and it was never on battery tender, but I rode just about every day.

My story is similar, only my battery is the 2004 original one, still kicking, but used with battery tender periodically and only deeply discharged once by me...I inadvertently left GPS powered on overnight...(it has since been put into power conserving mode). I will be changing it this winter. Still spins up starter okay but initial start the motor stalls it for about 1 sec then spins up fine...but "warning me" that it is time.

My story is similar, only my battery is the 2004 original one, still kicking, but used with battery tender periodically and only deeply discharged once by me...I inadvertently left GPS powered on overnight...(it has since been put into power conserving mode). I will be changing it this winter. Still spins up starter okay but initial start the motor stalls it for about 1 sec then spins up fine...but "warning me" that it is time.

Voice of experiance here, if you're battery is showing signs of getting week, especially being that old, change it out now and don't try to stretch it till this winter. I tried that and it left me sittin, of course at a time when I was on the way to work and had just stopped to get gas.:newsmile055:

Back