free website stats program Battery Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Issue

HD4ME!

Well, since we had a nice afternoon yesterday, after the Texas frigged weather, after work I decided to take a short ride with my wife. Upon starting I noticed it seemed a little sluggish even though I use a Battery Tender Jr .75 amp. Didn't think too much of it and headed off.

Rode about 10 miles, stopped at local sporting good store and low and behold when we hopped back on she was dead! What to do? Well after the 4th try, we got her push started and headed home. Battery seemed to be charging on the way home, was right at 14 volts. When I got it back in the garage I shut her off and it would not start back up :(

BTW, I tend to start her weekly and about a week ago road to the auto parts store, which was about 5 total miles with no problems. So I am perplexed as to why it is acting up.

Could the Battery Tender be acting up even though it shows it is charging? Oh yeah almost forgot, I got the Battery Tender 2 months ago and switch it back and forth from my Harley and Dirt bike. After fully charging my dirt bike and the tender being on for a couple of week it was dead as well.

Thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks for the quick response Steve, the Battery Tender is solid green which means it is monitoring charged battery. Bike is right under 2 years old, could the battery be bad? Guess I can take it out and go have it tested.

Yeah the Tender always appears to be functioning properly. I will have the load tested and report back. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your '08 battery SHOULD still be good. HD's agm batteries have a good life expectancy.
First check your battery and ground connections. If you have a vom, you can check the voltage while cranking, it should not drop below 9v. There's a ez battery load test in the self help section. On my battery mainainer (different brand), the green light won't light on a bad battery, it just shows always charging. Rides of 5 miles and 10 miles aren't far enough to charge a battery, especially a cold one. Is it concidental that 2 batteries don't charge with that tender.. hmm. Battery Tenders have failed.

2nd Breeze. My battery charger has a red light in charge mode and a green light in the monitor mode. I also do not understand why you would be switching between 2 bikes, I have a tender for every battery I charge, just me though.

Could the Battery Tender be acting up even though it shows it is charging? Oh yeah almost forgot, I got the Battery Tender 2 months ago and switch it back and forth from my Harley and Dirt bike. After fully charging my dirt bike and the tender being on for a couple of week it was dead as well.

Thoughts or suggestions.

Are you saying the dirt bike battery was dead when it had been on the Battery Tender?

If it was me I might use a multimeter to check the battery voltage when the charger says it's in the "maintain" mode. But, what I'd probably do, if I understand what you wrote, is just get another Battery Tender.

The Battery Tender being only in service for 2 months is not a panacea for a 3 year old battery that may have a deep discharge history...modern HD AGM batteries suffer severe longevity loss if deep discharged a couple times. Sounds like you started using the Battery Tender too late to do much good...sorry! But the good news is, once you replaced the low capacity abused batteries with new ones you will be fine. Just be advised, weak battery means more stress on the Stator/Regulator charging and starting system and cause further grief...you really do not want to wait too long...! JMHO

Kuryakyn has a battery gauge that most say is very accurate. I bought one as I think that it is good insurance and intend on putting it on soon.

YOU say CLOSE TO TWO YEARS.......

HIT UP HARLEY BEFORE 2 YEARS AND YOU(they) MIGHT SOLVE THE PROBLEM
ON WARRANTY

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for all of the replies. I took the battery to my local HD shop, they tested/charged it or 24 hour and it test good. I will check out the charging system using the self help guides this weekend, then since it is under warranty for a couple more months take it to HD and have them check it out.

Thanks again, and I will post the final results.

Are you saying the dirt bike battery was dead when it had been on the Battery Tender?

If it was me I might use a multimeter to check the battery voltage when the charger says it's in the "maintain" mode. But, what I'd probably do, if I understand what you wrote, is just get another Battery Tender.

Yes dirt bike was dead too. good idea to use the volt meter, I will try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That should tell you if the battery tender is working properly.
WAP.gif

Back