free website stats program Battery idiot light came on | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery idiot light came on

With "b" flashing, press and hold reset, it reads "norSP".

noRSP on B (TSSM) is also not a good sign. The speedo is not communicating with the TSSM either. You have some kind of commo problem. Was everything fine before installing the oil cooler/ regulator problem?

Yes, everything was fine. My TFI has started interacting with my EITMS in a weird way. When the EITMS would kick in, the bike would stutter and eventually stall. I discovered this while testing the thermostat on the new oil cooler. Letting the bike idle, the EITMS would kick in and bike would start stuttering.

Is it possible this, too is related to my TFI?

I would Expect the bike to stutter if you stack both EITMS with a TFI. The front cylinder can only drink so much fuel running by itself. The TFI is not the issue.

Do you have FOB factory security on your bike,.
Did you disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.

I wish I knew if you had the commo problem before this all took place. Unless you try to read codes, a commo issue can exist and you would never know it.

YEs, I have security fob with new batteries. I do not have a siren on my bike, security wise it is stock. I haven't disconnected the battery as it is raining now and I'm in the house for the night. I will do that tomorrow after work.
I've learned a few things from this forum, one of which is to look at the last thing done to my bike before the problem started, that would be the oil cooler. Electrically speaking, I can tell you the first time I started the bike with the oil cooler on, the thermostat on the oil cooler kicked the fan on and, as I was checking all the electronics, I noticed my right rear turn signal was not working. I've had this problem before and replaced a burnt out bulb last year. This bulb has worked intermittently ever since so I didn't think anything of it. However, that was the one and only time that thermostat worked...I had to order a new one from Ultra Cool. Installed that one and the fan is working but I now have this issue with DTC.
Is it possible the faulty thermostat did something to either my ECM my TSM or both? JEez I hope not, that could get expensive. I'm starting to regret installing this oil cooler, it has led to more problems than I need right now. :)

Why wouldn't there be a code displayed? Does that mean one or both may be fried and unable to display codes?

Can you upload or provide a link for the Instructions on the oil cooler. I want to see the wiring and how it is hooked up.

Is the fan running when you check for codes?

The website had what I was looking for. So the fan only runs when things get hot. The fan is not running when you checked for codes.

FYI, the instructions online are for the older version cooler without the thermostat. my cooler has the thermostat.

From what you said in Entry point #7, it appears the speedo can not commo to anything other than itself. And we just don't know if the commo problem existed before all this happened.

The speedo may not be talking with the TSSM & ECM but the ECM has to be communicating with the TSSM or else the bike would not start (password does transfer).

I would try the 15 minute reset just to see what happens. Then I would perform a plug and reseat of the speedo harness connector. Inspect the pins.
I would also do the same on the ECM and TSSM connectors. Use Harley Special lube on the pins.
Part No. 99861-02 - Nyogel 760G

It is all worth a try.

One more thing... The Run Kill switch is in RUN when you are reading codes, correct?

Back