free website stats program Battery idiot light came on | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery idiot light came on

Mavagrand

I just installed an oil cooler on my bike. Part of the process required I remove the voltage regulator from it's location and put it on a bracket. When I removed the VR from the bike, I let it hand by it's two wires. This allowed it to get doused in oil a couple of times has I had to remove my oil filter. It got soaked good a couiple of times so I sprayed an oil cleaner on the back of it. reinstalled everything and rode the bike, no problem. I alter fired the bike up checking for any rattles and my check engine light and battery light came on while bike was idling..shut bike off, started it back up..bike went thru normal start up and, after all lights went off, the check engine light came on but not the battery light. OK, figured I'd check the manual.

I did a WOW test and there are no codes displayed. except for "norsp" in the ECM module. My bike has a tach but not ABS so I'm thinking that is normal. My battery cables are tight. Bike as 28K on it along with a stage 1.

My concern is my stator or VR. I have a long trip planned in /Sept and dont want any issues. what could cause the lights to illuminate and not leave a code? could it be the VR connections just needed to dry out?

Forgot to add, both lights are off now as I fired the bike up today right before I ran the WOW test.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be a stored code. Never heard of ECM as being a family of codes. ABS should be the "C" family of codes not ECM. "B" is TSSM ,,,"P" is ECM,,, "U" is commo buss related errors.

Do it again. (Let me guess P0562)

Hoop, I'll check it agin tomorrow. Keep you poste.d thanx for the reply

==========================================================

Hoop, preformed the procedure again with the same results. The ECM module reads "norsp". Page 4-21 of the EDM reads, "“no rsp” displayed. See applicable code from other modules. Models not equipped with a Tachometer or ABS will display “no rsp” normally. If “no rsp” displayed on Odometer on Tachometer equipped vehicle, see 2.4 SPEEDOMETER/TACHOMETER". My bike has a tach but not ABS. When I read section 2.4, it doesn't mention this reading.
All other modules read "none" and display a p/n, except for the ABS module which also reads "norsp".
This leaves me wondering why there are no codes stored. I know both the check engine light and the battery light were on yesterday but not today. I'm gonna get home today and check the VR with a meter and see if it might be going bad. Whats your opinion?

The oil cooler I installed as a thermostatically controlled fan with it. Im wondering if there was an open ground in the wiring for the fan if that could cause these symptoms?

Last edited by a moderator:
and my check engine light and battery light came on while bike was idling..

Lets back up a bit. At this moment if you take the out for a ride, does the check engine light come ON (or is already solid ON) while the bike is at idle.

Lets back up a bit. At this moment if you take the out for a ride, does the check engine light come ON (or is already solid ON) while the bike is at idle.

I can't advise. Florida is finally in it's summer weather pattern, by the time I get home, it's usually coming down pretty hard. :) I started it up in the garage yesterday and it idled for about five minutes. It went through it's normal start up routine, all the indicator lights went off and none came on while the bike was idling.

Try this. My 2009 boot sequence and maybe for your 2008 also.

1) Start with the ignition key OFF and the Kill switch in Kill position.

2) Turn on the ignition (engine not running). While watching the check engine light,, flip the kill switch to RUN.

The "check engine light" should come ON for 4 seconds. Then go OFF & stay off if no current or historical codes are logged.

But,,,On for 4 seconds, then OFF for 4 seconds then ON for 8 seconds, then OFF => historical code is logged.

How does yours respond.

Try this. My 2009 boot sequence and maybe for your 2008 also.

1) Start with the ignition key OFF and the Kill switch in Kill position.

2) Turn on the ignition (engine not running). While watching the check engine light,, flip the kill switch to RUN.

The "check engine light" should come ON for 4 seconds. Then go OFF & stay off if no current or historical codes are logged.

But,,,On for 4 seconds, then OFF for 4 seconds then ON for 8 seconds, then OFF => historical code is logged.

How does yours respond.

It shows a historical code is stored. I perform the WOW procedure using the speedo reset button as outlined in the manual and I get the same results as I published above. First I get "dl A9", I press the reset button and get "P55Ptb"

The first "P" is flashing, I hold the reset button in for five seconds and it displays "norSP" (already discussed the manual referring to this in my above post). Press reset and the 5 begins to flash.

With the first 5 flashing, I press and hold reset for five seconds, it reads "none", press reset again and it starts scrolling a Part Number (according to manual, this is what it should do). Press reset once more, and "5P" begins flashing.

With "5P" flashing I press and hold reset, it reads "none" and start scrolling a P/N. Press reset and "t" begins flashing.

With "t" flashing, press and hold reset, it reads "none" and starts scrolling a P/N. Press reset, and the "b" begins to flash.

With "b" flashing, press and hold reset, it reads "norSP".

As you can see there is no code displayed that I can find. I'm gonna research in the manual and see what each of these modules mean. I think the "norSP" has got something to do with this phantom code.

What say you?

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected. I believe you have a tach thou.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected. I believe you have a tach thou.

That's correct, Glider, I do have a tach. However, the manual is a little vague on exactly what "norSP" means. If you'll read post #3 you'll see what I mean. It refers me to section 2.4 SPEEDO/TACHO. When I read this setion it doesnt mention the code. Whatever is going on, my bike does indicate I have a historical code stored.

i haven't had a chance to ride the bike b/c of the weather. as you know my TFI recently started messing with my EITMS, which I had to turn off. I'm wondering if that might have something to do with this new issue.

First I get "dl A9", I press the reset button and get "P55Ptb"

The first "P" is flashing, I hold the reset button in for five seconds and it displays "norSP" (already discussed the manual referring to this in my above post). Press reset and the 5 begins to flash.

The dlA9 is really "diag"
The P55Ptb is really "PSSPtb"

I may be wrong but how I see it.

**The norSP you got after the 1st P,, should not be** It should have displayed either "None" or a DTC.
The P family of codes are the ECM codes. Things like P0505, P0108 etc
It should not have said norSP. That means there is no commo between speedo and ECM.

The difference between None and noRSP is None means the DEVICE is present but there are no codes. noRSP means the DEVICE should be there but it is missing or can't communicate.

Try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and try again.

Back