free website stats program battery hold down clamp | Harley Davidson Forums

battery hold down clamp

chipguy1

It has been six months since I took the battery out of my 05 ultra classic efi. Today I placed the battery in the battery tray, posts facing forward. I then went to put on the hold down clamp and I can't figure it out. When I place the rubber part of the hold down clamp on the top edge of the battery I see that the hold down bolt is too short to screw in to the body of the bike. Does anybody know the proper way for the hold down clamp to sit on the battery? I checked my manual, but it just states "on the edge of the battery"
Thanks to any replies.
Tom

It has been six months since I took the battery out of my 05 ultra classic efi. Today I placed the battery in the battery tray, posts facing forward. I then went to put on the hold down clamp and I can't figure it out. When I place the rubber part of the hold down clamp on the top edge of the battery I see that the hold down bolt is too short to screw in to the body of the bike. Does anybody know the proper way for the hold down clamp to sit on the battery? I checked my manual, but it just states "on the edge of the battery"
Thanks to any replies.
Tom

Make sure your battery is setting all the way down in the battery box. This happen to me once. The battery was not positioned all the way in the battery box, and just like you, I could not get he hold down clamp on.

Problem solved. I think I should wear my reading glasses when working on the bike. I had the battery sitting on the ledge that is part way down the battery box. Took battery out, saw the ledge and placed battery in properly. Another doh! moment for me.
Thanks
Tom

Problem solved. I think I should wear my reading glasses when working on the bike.

I've learned the same lesson. So much of working on our bikes is "up close and personal" that I have a dedicated pair of reading glasses that stays on my work bench.

Back