free website stats program Battery dead | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery dead

Irish Hog

Hey fellas I gotta question to all you mechanics out there. I have been having a problem with the the battery dying, I am getting a clicking when I go to start up the bike. I had the bike completely serviced in June, new battery and what ever was needed

It seem to me like it is not charging. I took it out for a 20 mile run today and I stopped and got gas and noticed that the starter was getting week when I fired it back up. When I got home and went to restart it again it was dead(clicking). So I am leaning that the alternator is not charging the battery. I do keep the battery tendered, it seems like after the battery is completely charged I get about 4-5 starts and then it is dead. Anyone know where I should start?? I am going to test the battery tomorrow, but again I am pretty much ruling out the battery since it is brand new. Now is the alternator a fairly easy job on a bike. I have changed several in my cars over the years, so I am guessing that it should be just as simple on a bike. I just do not feel like dropping another $600 at the dealer again..Any help appreciated

Irish Hog :41:

Check and make sure it is or isnt charging then go from there.. Stator looks bad to change but they are not super hard

After further review of the 2nd link, it is going to the dealer :yes

Hey man.... remember, it doesn't have the be the Stator that is bad? The Stator can be working fine, but if the Voltage Regulator goes bad the battery also can not get charged.

If you have a meter, it's fairly easy to check which it is. You can check the DC level AT the battery (should see ~13 volts) if all is working well . Since you have an issue, you probably won't be seeing that. You can also disconnect the stator from the regulator and do a voltage output test (this will be in AC). If the Stator output checks are okay (and it's not grounded, there's test for that as well), it's likely the regulator is bad. This is a fairly simple replacement, it's down in at the front of the bike at the base of the down tubes?

I've actually seen more regulators fail than Stators... if that's any consolation.

Hey man.... remember, it doesn't have the be the Stator that is bad? The Stator can be working fine, but if the Voltage Regulator goes bad the battery also can not get charged.

If you have a meter, it's fairly easy to check which it is. You can check the DC level AT the battery (should see ~13 volts) if all is working well . Since you have an issue, you probably won't be seeing that. You can also disconnect the stator from the regulator and do a voltage output test (this will be in AC). If the Stator output checks are okay (and it's not grounded, there's test for that as well), it's likely the regulator is bad. This is a fairly simple replacement, it's down in at the front of the bike at the base of the down tubes?

I've actually seen more regulators fail than Stators... if that's any consolation.
Thanks man..I have a friend that is a mechanic and he put the meter on and did a few test. We did find that it is not charging, so the battery is good. I asked him if he wanted to keep the bike and trouble shoot it and find the problem, but he was a little weary and said I should just take it in to Harley. So I am just going to take it in for service on Wed...I am going to have a full service done and get everything checked and maybe add a few new parts while I am at it..Thanks for the tips, I have a feeling that it is the regulator. It is good to know this for the future, I am going to get a meter and start learning these test so I can do it myself next time..Thanks again.

Back