free website stats program Battery charging | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery charging

thwart

This is an embarrassing newbie question. I left my ignition on and the battery died.

I bought 12 v battery charger, .75 amp. But the charger is flashing red.

Red means, "the battery charger has AC power available and that the microprocessor is functioning properly. If the red light continues to flash, then either the battery voltage is too low (less than 3 V) or the output alligator clips or accessory ring terminals are not connected correctly. "

It's connected the same way I successfully connected my battery maintainer all winter. What does the other mean?

This is an embarrassing newbie question. I left my ignition on and the battery died.

I bought 12 v battery charger, .75 amp. But the charger is flashing red.

Red means, "the battery charger has AC power available and that the microprocessor is functioning properly. If the red light continues to flash, then either the battery voltage is too low (less than 3 V) or the output alligator clips or accessory ring terminals are not connected correctly. "

It's connected the same way I successfully connected my battery maintainer all winter. What does the other mean?

Battery may be not capable of charging, have it load tested or replace it charge new battery first before riding so it aint hard on your charging system

How long has the charger been on the battery? If you completely drained it, it will take some time to come back up with .75 amp charger.

Actually I was mistaken. I forgot I DIDN'T pull the plug so it's been going overnight. Unfortunately still blinking red.

If your battery was completely dead, A .75 charger will take days to bring it back from the dead, If ever... Also most tenders will not charge a completely discharged battery. You'll need a true charger 'and don't keep it on more than a few hours to get some juice into that battery so those little chargers can work .

If your battery was completely dead, A .75 charger will take days to bring it back from the dead, If ever... Also most tenders will not charge a completely discharged battery. You'll need a true charger 'and don't keep it on more than a few hours to get some juice into that battery so those little chargers can work .

Agreed. That was the point I poorly tried to make.

If the battery was fully discharged, it may not be capable of taking a charge. Before you buy another charger, have the battery load tested. Most of the national chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc..) will test the battery for free. If you do decide to buy a charger, most any 12 volt automotive charger will be fine. Schumacher is a brand that some have used successfully.

I HAVE done this... NOT RECOMMENDED.....

Older battery sat for a long time. It would not take a charge.

I reversed the RED to the ground on the charger... Then momentarily touched the ground to the Positive post of the battery held it for about 3 seconds.... Remove the charger by un-plugging it
(ONLY for 3 seconds and charger was at full charge setting at 12 amp position)...

Re-applying the charger on the Correct pos-negative post on medium amp charging,,,,,It started at a very LOW acceptance of the charge but over night it came up to a good level.

NOW You know all the warnings as This IS Not the way to do things. Just a spark Can blow up the battery and YADA yada....

You are on your own on this.:newsmile07:

aa good battery charger $ wise runs about 59 and up to 129.

Like a battery, I also go by weight on a charger... If it is light ---not too good HEAVY it might be best.

signed....BUBBIE

Back