free website stats program Battery Charging Harness | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Charging Harness

I searched for this but didn't really find an answer. Like a dummy, I forgot to coil up my Charging Harness when I unplugged it from the Battery Tender before I took off on a ride. Long story short, it got up against the tailpipe and melted. My question: is it just a matter of disconnecting the melted one from the battery and putting on another one, or are there more things involved that I'm not aware of, such as battery disconnection or FOB issues? Thanks for any help.

I would turn ignition ON, remove Maxi fuse, turn off ignition. Replace your burned Tender cable. Turn on ignition, install Maxi fuse, turn off ignition.

If you don't do it this way, your Siren will start to blow because the module thinks someone is trying to disconnect your battery to bypass the alarm.

Hoop has you covered, regarding the proper deactivation of the Security Alarm before servicing...regarding the battery cables, remove the black ground cable of the battery first or the lug end at the block, then you can remove the red positive cable with less chance of arcing and replace the battery tender harness. When putting back together reconnect the red positive cable first, then the black ground/battery cable last.

Ok, I guess I misunderstood. I only have the factory FOB security, but not the siren, just the flashing lights. Would the same procedure still apply?

Well if you don't have the siren I would think you would not Have to do the Maxi thing. But you can't go wrong if you do the procedure anyway. It certainly won't hurt. The Maxi is right inside the fuse box.

NewHD also makes a Great point. Follow those instructions when disconnecting your cables.

Back