free website stats program Battery Change question | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Change question

sampson80

This might be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask. I need to change the battery on my girlfriends softail standard, and it has a security system on it. Can I change the battery out like normal or is there anything special I need to do with the security system first??

Not a dumb question... yes, if the bike has a security system you must turn on the ignition switch, and with it on, pull the maxi fuse. Then you can disconnect the old battery without the security complaining. Once the fuse is pulled, you can turn off the ignition if you want. Once you install the new battery, then replace the fuse. Should be ready to go then.

I just plugged in my battery tender before I disconnected my battery. Not sure if I was supposed to do this, but on newer cars (if you don't maintain some kind of power - even a 9v battery) - the vehicle has to go through and idle and driveability relearn process, so I was just trying to avoid that - I hadn't thought about the security fob issue.

Settings are stored in memory, should be no problem having a battery disconnected, not sure where you would connect a tender to with the battery out.
Reason for pulling the maxi fuse with the ignition turned on is thats how the security system knows you are not trying to bypass the system.

I'm gonna change out the battery this weekend. I will disconnect the fuse as recommended. I looked in the manual and it didn't say anything about changing the battery with a security system installed but I figured something needed to be done not to trigger it. Thanks for the help!

So you don't have to remove the maxi if the fob is near? Just trying to understand the whole process. That won't hurt anything like a downloaded map? Or revert back to factory settings?

So you don't have to remove the maxi if the fob is near? Just trying to understand the whole process. That won't hurt anything like a downloaded map? Or revert back to factory settings?

I have removed my battery several times for wiring projects, etc.. I never gave any thought to it, and only had to do the usual radio/clock resets when I hooked it back up. I have security sirens, but they are not the HD battery powered model.

Back