free website stats program Battery Cable - Negative | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Cable - Negative

Bosbury1

Noticed yesterday that my negative cable was cracked and want to replace with custom made cables that I can cut and solder. Anyone know where I can purchase the solder lugs and cables? What size is best 2 or 4 guage? This is the third time I've replaced the negative cable in five years the seem to just fall apart.

Before you replace with new "custom" cables I suggest you figure out what is causing your existing cable to go bad. Three cables in five years is three too many. These don't just go bad on their own. Remember for every "effect" there is a "cause" and vice versa.
WAP.gif

+1 on a issue, something is wrong with your charging system. No way you should be going through neg cables like you are.

All three time they have pulled away from the battery end lug and look real weak. My buddy had the same thing happen on his 04 Heritage Classic. My thought is that If I use a thicker cable with solder connections not pressed this should rectify this issue. I've seen the Sumax and Terry Components, but don't want to pay that much money. I want to do the positive as well.

Noticed yesterday that my negative cable was cracked and want to replace with custom made cables that I can cut and solder. Anyone know where I can purchase the solder lugs and cables? What size is best 2 or 4 guage? This is the third time I've replaced the negative cable in five years the seem to just fall apart.

Try Napa, they carry Belden products, Better yet use welding cable:s

Never had a problem with charging just had the bike in for 20K service all is fine. The battery was replaced about two years ago not because of issue, but more as a preventative issue. Anybody know where I can purchase cable and lugs?

Go to a welding supplier they carry quality cables and just about every end lug that you would use.

Try going to an automotive electric shop where they rebuild starters. My local electric shop charged me $10 each to build 2 gauge cables (soldered ends). My local shop had a Sportster parked outside, so I walked in talking all kinds of nice about his bike. :bigsmiley11:

I know you are thinking about making your own, but just another thought... I went by a local shop that installs audio equipment into all kinds of vehicles (auto, truck, boat, etc.). They made a set of cables for me and when the negative end (battery) showed a slight crack the owner fixed it, no charge. :D He was quiet surprised the problem happened and gave me washers and another spacer (not that I needed them) just because I had the trouble.

To me, you are miles ahead with the Yooper Battery Cables. Do a google search for them using the string "Yooper cable" and check out the "Cold Riders Yooper Page" link.

TQ

Last edited:
Back