free website stats program bars slipped | Harley Davidson Forums

bars slipped

astrorock

Hay All, here is a new one on me,, i was on a ride Sunday and i hit a large bump and the bars slipped down a little.. maybe 1", i pushed them back and finished the ride.. they are not loose but i haven't taken them off yet, if they are stripped a little are the bars junk or is there a trick to getting them tighter.

if they are stripped a little are the bars junk

most likely the bars will not be stripped they are metal the clamp is aluminum my quess is if you tighten up the clamp bolts it will be fine however if not the most likely cause would be the riser or the riser clamp not the bars if it were me I try shaving down the clamp slightly were it clamps to the risers with a file if you can not get the bolts tighter. Just my two cents from having a few apart!

As previously stated, but the real deal is if the clamps have sufficient gap to tighten down...otherwise, an alternative is to use metal shim stock and a bit of locktite, but the key here is to make sure the bars have good knurling pattern if they are "conventional" bars secured by clamping.

When I replaced the risers on Paulas Fatboy I noticed that the riser clamps do NOT completely clamp together. There should be a small space still showing thus knowing that the bars are tight rather than the clamp bottoming out without clamping the bars tightly.

Just my observation...

A good reliable fix for handlebars that slip is to take an aluminum can and cut it up so that you have a strip the same size as your clamp. Take off the clamp and wrap this strip around the bars and then refit it in the clamp and tighten down... problem solved.

A good reliable fix for handlebars that slip is to take an aluminum can and cut it up so that you have a strip the same size as your clamp. Take off the clamp and wrap this strip around the bars and then refit it in the clamp and tighten down... problem solved.

First time I heard of that trick was when I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" back in high school. Since then, I've known a few riders who have actually done it.

If you have a deep freezer remove bars and fill with water just enough to fill bottom tube and freeze to expand tube

Back