free website stats program Banging at start up | Harley Davidson Forums

Banging at start up

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
I have a '03 FLHT. When I try to start it it makes a banging sound which sounds like it is coming out of the primary area. It will turn over a couple of times then BANG, turn over a couple of time then BANG. Am I dealing with a worn out compensator, if so which parts are we talking about in the compensator??

I have a '03 FLHT. When I try to start it it makes a banging sound which sounds like it is coming out of the primary area. It will turn over a couple of times then BANG, turn over a couple of time then BANG. Am I dealing with a worn out compensator, if so which parts are we talking about in the compensator??

Possibly,but there are several other things also possible . Either way I'd get her opened up and have a look before something comess completely loose. Good luck.

Could be comp...could be starter gear...best to get the case off & take a look b/c something's amiss.

I'm guessing here...:D

The battery could be a problem... Not enough power in it to turn over properly.

Tune bad
,,,,, need new parts: (check first)

sparkplugs: use only 6R12 stock HD plugs as a replacement
sparkplug and coil wires: SE makes nice color matching ones and are Low replacement cost:53:

Air leaking around the intake manifold?

Check cranking compression to see the shape of the motors runability...

signed....BUBBIE

The motor is a 95" with about 10:1 comp. shaved heads and a gear cam drive. I replaced the starter clutch about a month ago. The coil wires are orignal. The spark plugs are not 6R12 stock HD plugs, I will replace them. The battery is a stock battery about 3 years old. I have a stronger battery I will but it in this afternoon and see what happens. I have a bigger starter on order. Thanks for all the ideas......Gezzer Glide

Make sure that new battery is fully charged before you put it in the bike, and your cables are clean and in good shape. Both ends of the cable.

Never occured to me to ask but does BANG mean it fires or backfires once?, or is it a mechanical BANG you are describing? :newsmile026:

Back