free website stats program Ballpark on how much it will be to restore... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ballpark on how much it will be to restore...

I'd fix up what needs fixing and ride it.
I two possible reasons you want to do all the rest of the work: it would be fun to do or you actually want all those things in a bike and you have a platform to do all those things.
If the former, fix it up to bare necessities to keep from dumping more money in it than you would get out, flip it and do it again. I'd just hate to see a classic get turned into something it's not.
If the latter, fix it up as before and sell it for a newer bike and take that extra 10k for a down payment.

Cool bike!
If mine, I would try to restore her to stock. But its not mine:(

If you make it into a custom, may I suggest cleaning and carefully storing all the original parts so someday it could be put back to stock.

Good luck and keep us up to date with your project!

So.... After starting it a few times to get stuff moving and lube flowing she seized up... Thought I had let her run long enough to get oil moving... Need now to tear down the motor... Any idea, worst case scenerio, how much it costs to take it down and boar out cylinders, get new pistons/rings crack the case, etc...? I had taken all advise into consideration and decided to slowly fix her up over a bunch of years just getting her onto the road, replacing rubber and cables first for safety but after she seized up i'm not sure... At this point everyone says sell it and get a bigger bike with abs and bags and fuel injection, etc... and i'll have a better bike and not spend as much. Very true, but it's THE bike... They almost have me convinced, (Edit) been pricing stuff... Found a bunch of road glides, street glides, electra glides for less than 8k in WAY better shape than my bike. And they are all 10 years old or newer. Is it more worth it to slowly get her fixed up after an engine rebuild or just sell her to someone who wants her and get a new bike that i can make my own?

Please Click the below link and read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Having done a similar project on both a 72 Chevy shortbed truck and a Triumph. The budget you have planned is never enough! Typically turns into 2 -3x what was planned. But the fun and learning experience compensates for some of the financial pain.

Depending on what is wrong with the motor you could easily spend 1K-1.5K on the motor.
I am rebuilding my '73 right now due to a wrist pin clip coming out and ruining the rear cylinder. Come to find out the rods were bent slightly causing the spiral clip to let go. Hence new rods,crank,cylinders, pistons,etc. I am doing most of the work myself but certain things I can't. Good luck with it.
tourbox

Back