free website stats program Baker F6F | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker F6F

I brought my 09 bagger back from the dealer yesterday after its 1000mi service. Didn't sleep last night because of the 5th gear racket. I read all of the posts I could find about changing the lube for the transmission but mine is so severe that I have just ordered the Baker F6F for my bike. I find it kind of strange that there has been enough problems with the 5th gear for 07 on up that Baker has developed an offered and after market fix. Its this simple, when you pay $23,000 for a motorcycle you shouldn't have to look for a "fix". I love my 2000 heritage but I ain't in love with my 09 bagger so far.

Your bike isn't broke, so you don't have to fix it. I answered your other post with the reason, so I'm not doing it again here. Dang, man it's a Harley and they do make noises. And yes, I have heard the noise your bike is making, on both of the HD's I've owned.

I would hope you asked the dealer about it and hopefully they explained it.

I'm on my second six speed Harley, with zero problems and I haven't changed from the HD synthetic lubes and do not intend to.
:USA

The noise on my 09 Ultra in 5th gear is so insignificant I don't even notice it unless I try to. It has got better with time I am sure. The reason there is a fix is because there are people willing to spend mucho $$$ to eliminate this noise, which gets worse and worse as you read more an more about it.... If enuff peeps complained about wind in their face there would be a fix for that as well. Go figure. I am using SPECTRO, not to eliminate the noise, but to get rid of the inferior HD tranny oil. Thats what you really should be concerned about. Do what makes you happy and then be happy.

I understand your explanation but the fact is I ain't exactly new to Harley. Bought my first one in 1962 and have owned 9 since then but I have also worked in industry for 32 years and been around gear boxes with 2000 hp motors attached to them. If a gearbox sounded like my 09 it would be shut down for maintenance. I promise you, if you heard this noise the explanation of well " its a harley" just wouldn't cut it. I said "noise" not "whine" and I know the difference.

Baker F6F Kit

I simply could not tolerate the noise in my transmission and in particular the 5th gear in my "new" Ultra. Met with a district rep for Harley and as you would guess he said it was normal. This is a direct quote "you have to remember these machines are made by humans and they will all sound different. Your bike is operating within normal noise levels for the transmission and does not represent a mechanical problem". Well, so much for Harley's milling process and quality control. I bit the bullet and ordered the Baker F6F kit. Had it installed by a local shop and what a difference. The transmission now operates the way it should have come from Harley. It is smooth, tight and all the rattle is gone. 5th gear is quiet as a mouse. It still sort of amazes me that there were enough complaints about this particular problem that another company developed a kit to fix it and Harley hasn't changed a thing. I guess I also need to add the disclaimer that this is not an AMSOIL commercial or for that matter a Baker Transmission commercial.

Last edited:
Re: Baker F6F Kit

If the bearings go out in mine which is a rumor i have heard from 2 indys here i will have the kit installed .. right now i turn radio up or put in ear plugs and it goes away :) what did it run ya for install i know kit is 900 or so

I ordered the the kit directly from Baker and got it delivered with the clamping tool for the gears(makes installation easier) for $750. Cost me a little over $500 for the installation. I just cannot believe how much better the transmission is with this kit but this is a testament to how bad the transmission was without it. When you actually see the difference in the Baker gears and bearings vs the stuff Harley uses, it is really an eye opener.

What kind of noise are you experiencing? My '09 doesn't seem to be abnormally loud, but I'm not very well versed on the new bikes yet. What noise should I be listening for?

You would not have to be listening for the noise I was hearing. It was a roar. I have a friend who bought an Ultra a couple of weeks before I did and his bike did not make the racket that mine made. I think this speaks to the control parameters of the Harley process. I described the metallic roar as similar to a wheel bearing going bad in a boat trailer and as torque increased, like going up a hill, the transmission had a rattle that sounded kinda like an ignition knock but all of that went away when the kit was installed.

Back