free website stats program Baker Drivetrain DD6 Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker Drivetrain DD6 Install

TQuentin1

Staff member
MAN! I love that setup. If I had it to do over, I would definitely do the DD6 gear set rather than the SE 6-spd. Oh well. Next time! :s

TQ, what's the DD6 have over the S/E 6 speed? Baker does have good quality product, but when I was selling & installing 6 speeds, the S/E had the advantage of being a true overdrive in 6th and never had a problem with fit that our other store did with the Baker, I also sold the race primary gearing with it, chain & comp sprocket, the big bikes loved it, unfortunately S/E stopped offering it. Just curious what advantage you see in the baker over the S/E?

Chop,

As BigLew indicated above, the key advantage in the Baker DD6 is that the final drive is a 1:1 ratio as was (is) 5th in the old trannies. This results in an efficiency of about 99% as opposed to about 93% with the OD type 6th gears at a .89:1. And I like the helical cut gears in 4-6. They accomplish the standard ratios on 1-5 with a 28 tooth compensator sprocket (27 tooth also available). Oh, and BTW, they now have a DD7!!

Reality is that if I had the tools (or access to them at the time), I could have rebuild the tranny I sent you with the DD6 gear set for about what I bought the SE 6-spd for. That would have been stout!

But I am not really using the bike for long haul cruisin' anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

On my little bike, I am probably gonna go cheap-cheap with a RevTech kit or whole tranny. This bike will just be for tooling around here, so I will not be that concerned about getting stranded WAY off the reservation.

TQ

Thanks TQ, I value your input as well as biglew's.
The gear sets are a lot easier then R&R the whole trans and there's not that many tools needed, but like you said, would of, could of, should of, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the trans. you have.
Isn't RevTech listed under the foul language or profanities & vulgarity rule of HDTALKING yet?????:laugh
It really should be, just my most humble opinion.
:cheers

Do it RichardS
Devil.gif

I would do the S/E because it's a true over drive, the trans uses shift dogs that are not part of a gear so when you shift you are not sliding a whole heavy gear, just the light weight dog, it makes shifting a lot easier, plus it's a harley. I don't really know much about the baker and I do know the S/E, and have never had a problem with one, is why I say S/E, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Richard,

I put the SE 6-spd on mine back in late March, 2008. It is all good now, but I was pretty upset with the cheap little plate and gasket HD used to cover the old speed sensor location on the case (as in when these cases were used for the 5-spd). HD may have fixed this, but if not, Jims has a much better fix (see #8102 on the attached). All up cost me about $3k for the tranny, side cover kit, gaskets, fluids, etc. I did get a 10% discount from the HD Dealership just cause I asked for it.

Shifting down to 6th is good. If you run some highway speeds for any length of time, it is more comfortable. Probably worth it, but that is a judgement call. Save your old tranny, unless you get the gear set and have that installed in the current case in which case there is no old tranny, just the old gear set (save that!).

As I said above, if I was doing it again, I would be hard pressed on what to choose - Baker DD6 or SE 6-spd. When I did mine, I looked into the tools I would need to do it and it was too expensive to buy all that AND the Baker gear set. I think at this point I would be able to borrow the tools or buy them on the cheap, so the Baker option is more realistic. But the Baker DD6 gear set is about the same price as the complete SE 6-spd. So ...

TQ

Attachments

• Jims 2009_catalog 105.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 2
Chop,

Yeah, I do think it (Rev Tech) is close to one of those words that will get the user a vacation from the Boss!!

Only considering it because of the cost. Might look harder at one of the US options when I get closer to pulling the trigger. I just want it for ripping and roaring around town, so if I wear it down to a nubbin, no worries. We'll see. I might be shamed into doing the right thing when the time comes.

TQ

Remember when I suggested the easy pull clutch for the 03, you're not going to like the hard pull of the old clutch system.
Devil.gif

Just like what comes on the very expensive CVO bikes from the factory.
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Side Cover Release Kit for 6-Speed Transmission
Includes unique side cover and clutch components required for adapting a hydraulic clutch to Screamin' Eagle® 6-Speed Transmission.

38753-04A

Back