free website stats program Baker DD6 on stock 88 | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker DD6 on stock 88

bgrant64

Hi all,
I have been mulling around the idea of putting a Baker DD6 into my 06 EGC. The motor is stock and the only planned upgrade is a SE breather. I was wondering with the change in gear ratios will the 6 be too much for a stock 88? Or should this be shelved since I have no plans to upgrade the motor to a big bore kit?

Thanks,

Brad

IMO, if you do a lot of high speed driving like say over 70, then you may benefit from the 6 speed but for the most part the 88 is good the way it is.

Thanks Glider and Smitty,
That was what I figured, thanks for confirming what my "little voice" was telling me.

Brad

BGrant,

I have a differing opinion on the 6-spd. I do a lot of travelling on the highway. On my bike ('03 UC) with the stock engine, running at 70mph or more meant the engine was turning at least 3krpm. I put the SE 6-spd on the bike (wish I had put the DD6 - but that is a different story in the "Transmission" page) and this lowers the rpm to about 2.55k or 2.6k rpm. On a real trip (say hours in the seat), that would be a big difference. So it depends how and where you ride, and for how long at highway speeds.

But now I live in Texas where it is real flat!! I down shift to 5th on any significant highway overpass if the traffic speed starts to fall towards 60. Otherwise, once I get to 6th, it stays there until it is time to get off the road.

Nice.

TQ

Last edited:
The DD6 has a 1:1 top gear ratio.Same as stock.It's the lower 5 that are different.You may benefit from the spread,maybe not.It is a nice trans as are all the Baker products.

Fisher,

You are right about the 1:1 ratio on the final gear. They get the reduction in rpm in 6th with a replacement 28 tooth drive sprocket (27 tooth available too!!). Should provide 400-500 rpm reduction in engine rpm in 6th. The builders' kit or a complete transmission comes with the drive sprocket of your choice and new chain. Like I said above, wish I had gone with this option over the Screamin' Eagle 6-spd.

TQ

TQ,
Thanks for the input, here in FL its fairly flat, some ups and downs here in North FL. I tend to stay off the Interstates (I just enjoy the more "less traveled" byways). The six speed would probably serve me well but, I am thinking that with some trips I have in my mind that I want to make IE the Appalachians and some out west I would probably be shifting like mad with the sixer on the ups and downs. I think I will be staying with the 5'er for now. I am sure my present EGC will not be my last.

Brad

Back