free website stats program Baker DD6 klunks into the 1st 3 gears then smooth | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker DD6 klunks into the 1st 3 gears then smooth

jcrotteau

I have a 06 ultra classic with a Baker DD6 gear insert installed.
At first the trans shifted real smooth,every gear selection was made without any feel through the shift lever of anything,just click and the next gear up or down was made without any feeling or resistance.(like the lever wasn't hooked to anything) It still feels that way shifting from 4th 5th and into 6th. The clutch has been adjusted following the directions found here.I might add that finding neutral is very easy and I have changed the transmission gear lube to spectro 6 speed,which made a difference but it is still not as smooth as it was the first few thousand miles after the installation.I did over fill it by a few ounces when I put the spectro lube in.
This afternoon I drained a couple ounces out which put the level right on the full line with the bike on the center stand.I had drained the trans.oil into a glass measuring cup for inspection,the oil looked like red metalflake paint? I will say the bike seems to shift smoother while cold then after it warms up.
I might have 1000 miles since I changed the gear lube in the transmission.
What does everyone think?
Thanks,
Jim

Try another clutch adjustment.
Make sure you do it on a cold engine and collapse the cable adjuster completely. Also don't forget to squeeze the clutch handle a few times after the collapsing of the adjuster to center the balls in the ramp.

Thanks, Glider
I will try to let it sit log enough to cool down but it is Summer in Minnesota and I try to get as many miles as I can that weekend!
I will post my results,
Later,
Jim

Depending on what was in the tranny before you switched to the Spectro 6-spd, you might want to dump that first fill of the Spectro. The "metalflake" comment you made is troublesome. Mine looks like "Big Red" soda just a bit thicker. No "flakes".

You might also want to check your primary chain tensioner to make sure it is adjusted correctly. Better yet, next time you are due to change primary fluid, pop the cover off, clean the inside of the primary case really well with clean rags (no lint), wash the inside of the primary cover with light solvent, install an M6 tensioner, button it back up (I suggest new gaskets) and refill with Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil (Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils).

TQ

I adjusted the clutch again then out for a test run.
Things started out real smooth,then as things came up to operating temperature the shifting became a little less smooth. (not as bad as it was)
I gave the push rod adjuster bolt a 1/2 turn out after the clutch lever just touched the handlebars. If I change that to 1/4 turn out wouldn't that allow for expansion and keep the throwout bearing off the pressure plate when not in use?
Or do I need to 3/4 turn?
Thanks,
Jim

I believe the book calls for 1/2 to a full turn, I always go with a 3/4 turn.

Last night I reset the push rod to 3/4 turn where the clutch seemed to operate smooth even after everything reached operating temperature.
Thanks for the help.
Jim

I called Baker and talked to their tech about the shifting problem.He said it sounded like a shift fork clearance problem.He would send me a new shift fork that should cure the problem.
thanks for the help.
JC

Back