free website stats program Baker 6speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Baker 6speed

Hello to all,

I was trying to remove the race on main shaft on a 2006 Harley FLSTCI with a baker 6 speed direct drive. I tried the grinding method, but went to far!! Long story short the main shaft is messed up - can't re-use. My question is do any of you know if Baker main shaft is interchangeable with a Harley one? I apologize if this has been discussed in the past and if wrong platform to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest calling Baker and asking them. They will know that and might be able to get you a used shaft from some other stash. They to get to the Customer Support - technical guys rather than Sales or Customer Service.

Cheers,

TQ

The answer is YES
S &S is different from all the rest dont talk to loud about the 7 speed ;)
When I first mentioned it Bubbie clobbered me now he has one

A picture of the divit in the main shaft would help. If the divit will be covered by the new race, install the new race with one of the Loctite retaining products like 620, 638, 648 or 660. I would give that a try before replacing the main shaft. JHMO.;)

Thanks for the replies. Making contact with Baker tomorrow. I will work on the pictures. I just hate to put everything back together and end up having to replace the mainshaft.

Thanks for the replies. Making contact with Baker tomorrow. I will work on the pictures. I just hate to put everything back together and end up having to replace the main shaft.

I would hate more to replace the main shaft when another method might solve the problem or, at a minimum, put off the heavy lifting for another 25K-50K miles, or perhaps for as long as you own the bike. Don't know what the Baker main shaft costs but guess north off $200; not that bad but it is a big job and if it could be avoided, I would be giving an alternative some consideration.;)

If the IPB race covers the divit and will stay put, what's the problem? Look on the bright side. If the race moves, you don't have to worry about damaging the main shaft to remove it.:oops:

Good luck!

Jack - was your "yes" to shaft interchangeable between baker and harley. Was told no when I asked an HD mechanic.

It's hard for me to turn down a project and will always give a try. I always seem to find my self in these predicaments. If shaft needs replacement this will be by far the most costly.

Attachments

• IMG_1367[1].JPG
    IMG_1367[1].JPG
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1366[1].JPG
    IMG_1366[1].JPG
    833.2 KB · Views: 22
Man, you really went to town on that race.:eek: Just needed a diagonal notch about half way through, then hammer strike with chisel and the race would snap. Remove the race, clean up the shaft and post another photo; I might have to change my mind about whether or not a new race will work as an alternative to replacing the main shaft. I would bet that Baker will tell you the same thing that the HD tech told you but you should call Baker for the answer.

Yes, S S uses their own propitiate shafts, Baker will confirm this

Sorry work 12 hours days and haven't had a chance . I did speak to Don at Baker and I went ahead and purchased the mainshaft. Will take pics

Finally back together. I rode around my neighborhood for about five minutes. So far no leaks!! I will take to Harley shop near my house to get it properly aligned. I don't think I did a good job on the alignment.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    625.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    966.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1405.JPG