free website stats program Baisley spring or Oil Pressure Bypass Shim ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Baisley spring or Oil Pressure Bypass Shim ?

fabrozor

Hi guys.

I'm also thinking about adding a little pressure to my oil system.

Baisley spring looks good but is more difficult to find easily here in france.
I see "Custom Chrome" sell things that are more easy to find for me.

They also have a spring but limited to big twins from 1936 to 1995
-> High Pressure Oil Pump Springby Crane.24572

For my Twin Cam, they sell an "Oil Pressure Bypass Shim"
-> Oil Pressure Bypass Shim

I have 2 questions :

1) How does this "Oil Pressure Bypass Shim" look to you ? Would that be an acceptable alternativ to the Baisley spring or not ?
2) Did one of you install the "Oil Pressure Bypass Shim" ? If yes, how many pressure does it add ?

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a very interressant post (#35) on another forum :
Baisley Spring Install Questions - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty is correct. If this increases pressure on an existing system it has to do so by restricting flow. Your current pump has a set voluum and the pressure in your system will not increase without restricting flow. If you want to increase pressure and not lose flow you will need to increase flow (voluum) from the oil pump. HD has an upgraded pump for your model bike as does S&S and Fueling.

Performance wise, as HDDon pointed out, a higher delivery oil pump is the better choice...also takes into account you "may" want to do other mods in the future...

I installed the Herko kit while i did the camplate upgrade to hydrolic camplate.
An oilpump was in the kit.
I'm not shure if it was a highflow pump or not.

I installed the Herko kit while i did the camplate upgrade to hydrolic camplate.
An oilpump was in the kit.
I'm not shure if it was a highflow pump or not.

What kind of pressure are you seeing at idle and say2500RPM? You may have a misaligned oilpump.

it's hard to say because the oil pressure gauge has not a number writen in front of each of its graduations.
I'll take a look at cold and at hot.
When running and hot, it's near +/- 30 (which is normal).
At idle when hot, its much lesser, but i can't read a number.

In the previous link i gave at the bottom of my first post, the man said the pressure spring wasn't adding pressure at low rpm anyway.

I got the confirmation from john that pump in the Herko kit i bought is a highflow.

There is an oil pump alignment post by Glider in the self help section. You should not be haveing a pressure problem with a high flow pump. You may need to check to make sure your guage is correct first.

There is an oil pump alignment post by Glider in the self help section. You should not be haveing a pressure problem with a high flow pump. You may need to check to make sure your guage is correct first.
I don't find it. Can you post the link please ?

Have you check service manual to find out what the normal oil pressure should be for your bike.
Warmed up at idle and at high rpms?
When checking oil pressure engine temp should be around 230 degrees thats well warmed up.
TC96 calls for 30-38 pounds at 2000 rpms.
Oil pressure at 5-8 pound when well warmed up at idle is normal.
HD engine are lubed by flow not pressure.
2005 FLHTI manual says :
Pressure : 30-38 psi (207-262 kN/m2) at 2000 rpm and normal operating temperature of 230°F (110°C)

Fabrozor I haven't figured out how to post it from the self help section, but if you go to engine related section it is #38. I think your pressure is sufficient but I would think with a high output pump you should see more pressure than what your showing. Does your bike run hot? If you see temps. above 240F you may have a misaligned pump, but you first must be sure of what your oil pressure is. There is a section in my manual that shows how to hook up a good or known guage to get the correct oil pressure. This would be the first thing I would be looking at before I looked and the pump or alignment.

Back