free website stats program Bags and trunk deflecting exhaust sound? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bags and trunk deflecting exhaust sound?

Kraft kar

I have a 2013 ultra limited and am unhappy with the exhaust. It has stock head pipes with rush slip ons se intake and tune done by Harley dealership. I am wanting a loud exhaust but wondering if the bags and trunk are part of my problem of not hearing my exhaust the way I would want to. I like the freedom performance sharp curve radius exhaust but that doesn't fit well into my future plans with the bike. Can anybody help me out and see if that's part of my problem? I know putting a set of head pipes will help but how much will it help the loudness. Thought about going full rinehart exhaust but I'm the kind of guy that likes to be different and not do what a lot of other people have. Just looking for a loud exhaust system that will benefit my future plans. When money comes available I wanna go stage four and really get some zip out of the bike. Currently looking to upgrade exhaust and put cams in. Cam help would be nice also. I came from a sporster 1200 custom with Samson ground pounders so I think that could be a bother reason I'm not hearing the exhaust that we'll as I was used to the exhaust dumping put right by the rear tire. Thanks in advance.

I would think being under the bags that would sure muffle the sound going to you,I have some Cobra slip ons,not real loud but you can point the tips in different directions,maybe that would help.

I was doing some research and it seems to me that the d&d fat cat exhaust is what I'm looking for. All the things I read about it were really old though and was wondering if anybody could fill me on the d&d fat cat exhaust for my 13 ultra limited

You might want to consider a 2 into 1 performance exhaust if you are doing upgrades. The Rush Wrath 2into1 stepped header with the big louie muffler with 3 inch baffle sounds pretty good. There are sound clips on you tube.

If you remove the right muffler, and look into the header pipe with a flashlight, you will see that the cat is doing most of the sound muffling. On my 13'Ultra Limited I added SE Street Cannons to the stock header and it increased the sound slightly. I installed Cobra power port dual head pipes, a Cobra power flow air induction system, and a Cobra FI2000 power pro tuner. The sound coming out of the street cannons is now GREATLY increased, and balanced out of both pipes as it should be. I have been toying with the notion of putting on new mufflers that have baffles in them, but not yet!:D

Changing the header will help. You can find headers without the cat converter pretty reasonable on EBay.

For sweet barking sound, I recommend a set of Hooker, Tuned-Flows. You will have no trouble hearing them, and you can tune them to suit your scoot. I have a set in a box, that I took off when I installed my Monster Ovals, which have a deep throaty note, without being so loud all of the time (Momma complains). The Hookers will be hard to find these days, but worth it if you do.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks for all the help greatly appreciated. Is there a thread or can somebody fill me in on camshafts. I race a dirt modified so I'm used to those kind of cams and the numbers that go with them. I would like something that lopes at idle if possible and has the torque. I'm not a high end kind of guy just something to get me off the line and through the bottom gears. Thanks again

My bike is still covered under the extended warranty does that mean I can only use screamin eagle parts or can I use aftermarket

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to youtube and search screaming eagle 204 cams. Midrange cam with lots of lope. Not a screaming high horsepower high speed but pulls good all the way through. Don't know about the others but I can tell you before the cams I was severely lacking in pulling power and now I can't even tell when the wife is on the back. You will get many opinions on this.

Back