free website stats program Bagger question | Harley Davidson Forums

Bagger question

sjcea

I have a 2006 Street Glide and it had the factory 16 inch front wheel. Just purchased an 18 inch front wheel and rotors from a 2009 Street Glide ( factory wheel) what do i need to change to make it fit?

2006 had 1" axle and bearings, the 2009 has 25mm axle and bearings. You need a 2008 or newer axle, or change the bearings to 1". The difference of .015" doesn't matter on the axle mounting to the forks (I'd go with the bearing change for piece of mind).

Last edited:
I have 1 more question. What size 18 inch tire would I need. And will it have clearance problems on a 2006 street glide?

130/70-18 and no you won't have clearance issues. As the wheels size got bigger on the Touring models, the sidewall height/profile got smaller to keep the same general overall outside diameter ;-)
WAP.gif

Question for all: I have heard of others doing this, front and back. What is the advantage of the 18" wheels over the stock 16" wheels? I have heard the ride gets better but tires are harder to find, but don't know if this is true. Does this change have an effect on the accuracy of the speedo? What else may I have forgotten to ask?

Question for all: I have heard of others doing this, front and back. What is the advantage of the 18" wheels over the stock 16" wheels? I have heard the ride gets better but tires are harder to find, but don't know if this is true. Does this change have an effect on the accuracy of the speedo? What else may I have forgotten to ask?

To me, changing the front from 16 to 18 is purely for looks and the 18's have been out for a while and more manufacturers are making tires now. There will be no effect on speedometer with a front wheel change as speed is measured in the transmission.

This is not working out the way I hoped. The 18 inch rim has 25 mm bearings. My stock 16 inch wheel has 1 inch bearings. I bought replacement 1 inch bearings to put in to the 18 inch wheel but the 1 inch bearings are wider than the 25 mm bearings so they won't work!! Now what do i need to stick with the 25mm bearings or but a 25 mm axle???? HELP!!!!!!!

Back