free website stats program Bagger engine build | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bagger engine build

I don't see any harm in giving it a try but, if you do, use very little oil on the rings and skirts. A drop or two on each ring and a drop or two on each skirt; the oil will get there pretty quick.

I don't use much oil when assembling a top end. The more important task is cleaning the cylinders and rings as they will both will be covered with machine grit that you cannot see. I use dishwashing soap/hot water to clean the cylinders and rings. It usually takes 4-6 passes befor I can wipe the wall with a white cloth and have it come away clean; no black or grey color on the cloth. Then I coat all with WD40 as the cylinder walls will start to rust immediately. When ready to assemble, more WD40 and very little oil on rings and skirts.

I also use Shell Rotella 15W30 for break in; 100 miles and dump but keep filter; 500 miles dump oil and change filter then run whatever you want. JMHO.

I might add to check the ring gap on all rings just because:s

except for the fuel management that was done for my 05 road king. nice power about the same fuel economy, but significant noise increase

Just wanted to update a little. I did not get started going back together with this until this past weekend. Sometimes life just gets in the way. Fortunately, the weather has been so bad I've only missed a couple of days worth of riding. I did decide to use the Quickseat. Got the cam chest reassembled and the pistons hung yesterday. Finished the heads and rocker boxes tonight. Still have the tranny and the primary to reassemble yet. Hoping to be done middle of next week.

Just wanted to update a little. I did not get started going back together with this until this past weekend. Sometimes life just gets in the way. Fortunately, the weather has been so bad I've only missed a couple of days worth of riding. I did decide to use the Quickseat. Got the cam chest reassembled and the pistons hung yesterday. Finished the heads and rocker boxes tonight. Still have the tranny and the primary to reassemble yet. Hoping to be done middle of next week.
:D
Good Luck on your project:s

Finally got an entire evening to devote to the reassembly. Goal for tonight was to get the primary completed. Things were going pretty well. Had the inner primary bolted on, the starter installed and was getting ready to install the compensating sprocket and the clutch assembly when I noticed the drive sprocket was still in box! Remove starter, disassemble inner primary, install drive sprocket and repeat previous assembly exercise of the evening. Finally ready to install compensating sprocket and clutch assembly for real and I realize that I can't find the new compensating sprocket bolt that I bought last week....grrrrrrrrr!! I give up for the evening. Try again tomorrow after a trip to the Harley store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Primary is done. Still have several loose ends to tie up before I am ready the fire it up, but the end (hopefully) is in sight.

Back