free website stats program Bagger Cams | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bagger Cams

R.Bingham,

You might know.

If on the older TC pre 07 models, Does the Newer Cam-plate allow for the use of SE255's.. My thinking says yes on the fit IF that is IF you use the same cam-plate that is in the Newer motor,,,, Not the one in the KIT that HD offers... But the same with the Bushings instead of the outer bearings... OR are the cam ends on the engine side, Also different sized on the 07 and Up motors... I have not looked to see the specks.

I would figure IF the engine side of the motor(cam holes into block) are ALL the same then the Newer Cam-plate should be able to be USED into a older model IF wanted...Then using the SE255's or others for the Newer style TC would work...

What say You and OR others???

signed....BUBBIE

R.Bingham,

You might know.

If on the older TC pre 07 models, Does the Newer Cam-plate allow for the use of SE255's.. My thinking says yes on the fit IF that is IF you use the same cam-plate that is in the Newer motor,,,, Not the one in the KIT that HD offers... But the same with the Bushings instead of the outer bearings... OR are the cam ends on the engine side, Also different sized on the 07 and Up motors... I have not looked to see the specks.

I would figure IF the engine side of the motor(cam holes into block) are ALL the same then the Newer Cam-plate should be able to be USED into a older model IF wanted...Then using the SE255's or others for the Newer style TC would work...

What say You and OR others???

signed....BUBBIE

Nope they are not the same. The 07 and up have a 1 inch bearing journal and the older bikes have a 7/8" journal. That is why when you convert to the new style cam plate and tensioners you have to use a "conversion" cam. It has the new style outer journals that fit the newer cam plates and have the smaller inner journals to fit the cases on the 99-06 TC.
I suppose if someone really wants to use one of the new style non conversion cams such as the SE 255 he could send it to someone who grinds cams and have them grind down the inner journals.
HTH,
Randall

there is not an an Andrews conversion cam thats close to the SE255? hmmmm?

Sure there are HOLY, BUT we were Just Knit-Picking over the SE255's. I also was testing out R.Bingham again on his Knowledge about the beast we ride.. Liking his responses given.. VERY MUCH..

You can get good results along with answers about cams and more with him.

Thanks Randall ,,,,,,, just put the check in the mail like before.

signed....BUBBIE

there is not an an Andrews conversion cam thats close to the SE255? hmmmm?

Yes the new Andrews 48H is fairly close and actually a better cam if you ask me. It has all the torque the SE 255 does down low but carries it out farther then the 255 does, and makes more hp too. It can be used with the 05-06 head springs(bee-hive) but the 99-04 heads will require hi-lift springs.

Randall

Yes the new Andrews 48H is fairly close and actually a better cam if you ask me. It has all the torque the SE 255 does down low but carries it out farther then the 255 does, and makes more hp too. It can be used with the 05-06 head springs(bee-hive) but the 99-04 heads will require hi-lift springs.

Randall

well in my opinion if you start talking high-lift valve springs/ported heads to get a cam to work. it is not a cam for a bagger,we buy a bagger to ride for long trips,comfort,rideability if you turn it into a hotrod....you'll always be working against weight. and weight is horse powers worst enemy. you can take a super glide and go allot faster and spend less money. that is if going fast is all your concerned about? now if you just like spending money just because you can....thats a whole diff story. my main thing is when you start making big horsepower you loose reliability.

well in my opinion if you start talking high-lift valve springs/ported heads to get a cam to work. it is not a cam for a bagger,we buy a bagger to ride for long trips,comfort,rideability if you turn it into a hotrod....you'll always be working against weight. and weight is horse powers worst enemy. you can take a super glide and go allot faster and spend less money. that is if going fast is all your concerned about? now if you just like spending money just because you can....thats a whole diff story. my main thing is when you start making big horsepower you loose reliability.

The Andrews 48H cam is a bolt in cam on 05-06 motors. From 05-11 the MoCo has used bee-hive springs that allow for up to a .575 lift cam. Its only on the 99-04 motors that you have to change out the springs. A lot of the "gear heads" still consider this a "mouse" cam because of the early (29*) intake close.

This cam is basically an updated Andrews 21 cam to take advantage of the higher lift afforded by the heads on the TC96, which by the way have been the same since 06. The 05 heads were a sort of hybrid head using the 5/16 valves that had been in use from 99-05 and the bee-hive springs that the newer heads use. From 06 and up they use a 7mm valve instead of a 5/16 valve. Do to the excellent results that this cam has been doing in the TC96, Andrews decided to make it available as a conversion cam too.

This will still make for a very reliable motor. As for a "bagger" I couldn't think of a better cam for one. It has makes a lot of torque down low to get you moving and yet still carries that power to pull all the way to 5500 rpm. At 55mph if you need to pass someone, just twist that throttle and it will be right in the sweet spot of its torque. No need to down shift to get the revs up so that you will get into the power band like a cam that has a later intake close.

Here is a dyno sheet for a 2010 FLHX, 96 CI, ANDREWS 48H, SE HEAVY BREATHER, VANCE & HINES POWER DUALS, SE SLIP-ONS, TTS MASTERTUNE, LMR-2

48H.jpg

92hp/99tq is not a "hot rod" motor. But I'll guarantee you will have enough power for anything you come across.:D

Randall

One other difference between the early heads and the late models is the intake ports aren't the same. Many are running late model heads on early motors because of the before mentioned spring differences but also because the heads flow pretty well. That is fine to do but you will also have to change the intake manifold to match up to the different ports.

If the SE 255 was available for the early motors you would have the same head spring issues mentioned above. The safest lift of a cam for the early heads is .510.
The lift of the SE 255 is .556.
The lift of the Andrews 48 is .548.

Randall

I Know the OTHER Ways to THANK a member and I have done so BUT I like ALSO to do it here,,,

Randall,

That was some of the BEST and Easy to understand information given here.(.)

This is the STUFF that allow all of us to get INFORMED and when you Repeat it to a friend or Others, KNOW it is correct!,,, They'll Wonder How You Got That Smart..... Please Proudly say: from R. Bingham of HDTimeline.com

We're Lucky to have Knowledgeable members...AND WE Have MANY here...

Thanks again....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Finally got the mill together, kept things mild with the SE 204's and SE heads. Work and family seem to conspire to keep me out of the shop.....
Anyways here is how it turned out, pretty :D happy and I've built a old/new Road Glide Ultra to boot! The conversion for vented lowers on older RG's is as simple as falling off a log.

YouTube - It Lives

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

Back