free website stats program Bag theft deterent | Harley Davidson Forums

Bag theft deterent

Thought of this today, use the old style chrome bumper bolts, nut and washer. Remove the stock fastener retainer, install the bumper bolt with the round head exterior, washer and nut in the bag. Leave the rubber inserts in the bag and the bumper bolts are a perfect fit. Very difficult for someone to jack your bags.

Attachments

• S4200015.jpg
    S4200015.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 128
  • S4200018.jpg
    S4200018.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 118
  • S4200019.jpg
    S4200019.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 110
  • S4200016.jpg
    S4200016.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 148
  • S4200017.jpg
    S4200017.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 134
That is a very affordable way to keep bags on bike. Thanks for sharing..

At first I did something similar with clevasse pins. Worked OK, but pain when it came to removing bags so ended up going w/Brukus kit. Later discovered the Brukus kit can be replicated @ Ace HW for ~$8. Oh well, at least my bags are secure and semi-steal proof. :s

Thought of this today, use the old style chrome bumper bolts, nut and washer. Remove the stock fastener retainer, install the bumper bolt with the round head exterior, washer and nut in the bag. Leave the rubber inserts in the bag and the bumper bolts are a perfect fit. Very difficult for someone to jack your bags.

I must be missing something. If the bag latches are locked, how can a thief remove the hardware and steal the bags?

Biffy08, I was wondering the same thing. I just went out to my geezer glide with a flashlight to take a closer look. I can't even see the retaining spring at the front of the bags without opening the lid. I can see the rear ones, but I couldn't get a cutting tool on 'em. This must be a problem or there would be no reason for people to go to the trouble of making or buying theft-proof fasteners. Someone could easily steal my seat, but the bags look like they are pretty safe as long as the lid is locked. If I was gonna be a felon, I think I'd just steal the whole bike.

Biffy08, I was wondering the same thing. I just went out to my geezer glide with a flashlight to take a closer look. I can't even see the retaining spring at the front of the bags without opening the lid. I can see the rear ones, but I couldn't get a cutting tool on 'em. This must be a problem or there would be no reason for people to go to the trouble of making or buying theft-proof fasteners. Someone could easily steal my seat, but the bags look like they are pretty safe as long as the lid is locked. If I was gonna be a felon, I think I'd just steal the whole bike.

I'm with ya! The seat is very easy? I am glad I think, :small3d026: that I don't think like a thief.

The threads on this forum and others about bags be stolen may be (EDIT) or the frequency greatly exaggerated, don't know. Allegedly the bags are stolen for the contents (what is in yours when you are out and about), they are being used as mounts for stereo equipment, why wreak your own when you can steal some one else's, or simply to replace damaged ones. "They" say it takes less than 30 seconds to remove both sides and be gone.

For a few bucks or maybe what is in your bolt box and 5 minutes of your time you can save yourself alot of grief. I did mine.

WT

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, putting one bolt in each saddlebag is like insurance. I hope I never need it, but I got it if I do. I have recently replaced my 5/16" hex head bolt with a 5/16"
thumb screw. Now I don't need a wrench to take a bag off.

Back