free website stats program Baffles | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffles

Monty81

Hey everyone, I have a 2001 1200 custom sportster with drag pipes, the bike sounds great but in my opinion it's lacking the power it should have. If I install baffles will it make any improvements on the performance?

If I understand exhaust pipes correctly adding baffles may improve low rpm torque and off the line response. Open drag pipes work best for the motor at high rpms.

I think...

I understand the need for baffles. I went cheap and welded a washer to a stud and installed it in the exhaust. Did I notice any improvement - NO. What I dont understand is what type of baffles I need without having to buy another exhaust system.

Anyone have a recommendation for an after market baffle or a web site.

I have check already and prices range from $20 - $180.

If I understand exhaust pipes correctly adding baffles may improve low rpm torque and off the line response. Open drag pipes work best for the motor at high rpms.

I think...

Ferrous, You get an "A" on this one...

Drag pipes May sound great But they change the entire FLOW of things...

There are Big Name BUILDERS that have problems with in and out flow and fuel, torque, power.. Many don't use a drag pipe . Proper back-pressure is not usually obtained when SOUND is the most important issue..

Now that's no help to you I'm sure. Nothing You wanted to hear BUT,,,,. Drag pipes are for Draging. and then I would not use them....

$$$$$:newsmile093:$$$$$:newsmile093:$$$$

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks guys for the replies, I ordered some baffles today and if I don't get the performance I want I will probably change what I have....any suggestions??

Thanks guys for the replies, I ordered some baffles today and if I don't get the performance I want I will probably change what I have....any suggestions??

You can buy cheap baffles and modify them to your riding style and tastes, check J&P catalog:s

Google this: "THUNDER MONSTER BAFFLES"

Best baffles available and they have loads of info and dyno tests showing how & why open drag pipes actually rob power.

Good luck my friend...

Ferrous, You get an "A" on this one...

Drag pipes May sound great But they change the entire FLOW of things...

There are Big Name BUILDERS that have problems with in and out flow and fuel, torque, power.. Many don't use a drag pipe . Proper back-pressure is not usually obtained when SOUND is the most important issue..

Now that's no help to you I'm sure. Nothing You wanted to hear BUT,,,,. Drag pipes are for Draging. and then I would not use them....

$$$$$:newsmile093:$$$$$:newsmile093:$$$$

signed....BUBBIE

If the truth were told... I learned what I know here, on this forum.
Very Flattering Bubbie, Thank You!

I installed krome works baffles that costed $55 and what an improvement. I lost a little sound but it's worth it, I gained alot of torque. Before I installed the baffles I would hit 80mph and it would slowly creep to 90, now I have lots of power and no issues hitting 100mph. Thanks for all the input.

Back