free website stats program baffles needed | Harley Davidson Forums

baffles needed

zoood

Product Contributor
I had installed Rinehart 3&1/4" Black slip on mufflers ( 2000-06) on my trike. 1st off the freakin things do what sounds like a chirp noise when idling. Going down the road it sounds freakin good. Another dislike is they are way louder than what I removed. Ive an Ultima 113 for power and what Im looking for is short baffles. Quiet baffles I believe they're called. The larger diameter of the baffle has to be 2.00 to 2.125. Any one know of a baffle that I can get on short notice. Have a run coming up and really dont want to have to wear ear plugs.

Chirp noise at idle is rubber spacer at rear of exhaust.shoot a little silicone spray on them and chirp is gone.:)

Chirp noise at idle is rubber spacer at rear of exhaust.shoot a little silicone spray on them and chirp is gone.:)

HD95FLHT089.gif
Number 28 if you had stock exhaust mounting, tho I know yours to be custom trike

Home have you looked here?

I ordered from them and installed their product as well. Definitely took the LOUDNEST out of the equation. Thanks Jack!

The chirp noise turned into a high pitch squeak noise, not constant. More like an intermittent sounding. Ill have to try the silicone on that rubber insert on my mufflers, hopefully that works.

RJ

I installed the QQ Thunder Monster Baffles. It quieted it down a little bit. But still not where I want it to be. I had also purchased the simple baffles that one can get on ebay that resemble a pipe that has the old style can opener openings in it. They are just the right size to install in the end opening of the mufflers. Just back in a half inch past the muffler tips. Im gonna try this to see if it will work. Big city thunder talks their product up like its what I needed. But it turns out it was too expensive for quieting it down, which it didnt. So now Im back to square one and I'll post what it is that I will be trying. At the last draw. I think I just may purchase two John Deer mufflers from a store here and try that. Why not? My custom built trike has all kinds of different parts on it anyways.

RJ/zoood

I ordered from them and installed their product as well. Definitely took the LOUDNEST out of the equation. Thanks Jack!

The chirp noise turned into a high pitch squeak noise, not constant. More like an intermittent sounding. Ill have to try the silicone on that rubber insert on my mufflers, hopefully that works.

RJ

Well I finally managed to tone it down. At my second to last resort at changing the mufflers out completely. At the rear of each exhaust pipe. Just prior to the end tips. I drilled out one of the three holes that have button socket head 1/4 X 20 screws holding the exhaust tips on. I had taken some baffle inserts that are 1 & 3/4 inch x 4 inches long, ( typical size baffle insert for a sportster that has straight pipes) The baffle inserts were 5 bucks each off Ebay. I welded a nut on the inside of the baffle insert, slid the baffle insert inside the baffle, lined up the holes. I used Red lock tight, (high temperature) and also placed a lock washer on the 1/4x20 bolts that I used to secure the insert to the Rinehart muffler housing. By adding the additional back pressure. The trike still sounds awesome, but at an audible level that I can now hear my radio. I did notice that the quickness the trike displayed before my mods has reduced. Though 125HP @ 120lbs of torque is sufficient.

zoood/RJ

Im planning on pulling out the baffles to shorten them by a 1/2inch. See if I can create a happy medium with tone and increasing the power.

zoood/RJ

Well I finally managed to tone it down. At my second to last resort at changing the mufflers out completely. At the rear of each exhaust pipe. Just prior to the end tips. I drilled out one of the three holes that have button socket head 1/4 X 20 screws holding the exhaust tips on. I had taken some baffle inserts that are 1 & 3/4 inch x 4 inches long, ( typical size baffle insert for a sportster that has straight pipes) The baffle inserts were 5 bucks each off Ebay. I welded a nut on the inside of the baffle insert, slid the baffle insert inside the baffle, lined up the holes. I used Red lock tight, (high temperature) and also placed a lock washer on the 1/4x20 bolts that I used to secure the insert to the Rinehart muffler housing. By adding the additional back pressure. The trike still sounds awesome, but at an audible level that I can now hear my radio. I did notice that the quickness the trike displayed before my mods has reduced. Though 125HP @ 120lbs of torque is sufficient.

zoood/RJ

I am keeping an eye on this 1, remember the bigger the muffler body the more low end torque you will have:s

Back