free website stats program Baffle change out | Harley Davidson Forums

Baffle change out

gator508

Experienced Member
I'm contemplating changing out 1.75" baffles to 2 or 2.25" to get a deeper sound from my 3" Rush slip-ons. Has anybody had experience doing this. I have seen a few videos which are quite nightmarish about the old baffle getting stuck because the glass packing is stuck in the slip-on. Talked to the tech guy at Rush he thought my old baffles probably to not have any glass packing remaining so it should not be much a problem, I'm skeptical. Thanks for the feedback:)

I don't know about your 3 inch but on my rush 4 inch, I talked to rush first and they told me to run the bike to get exhaust hot after taking out the screws first and use channel locks to grab the end of the baffle and twist while pulling out. This worked extremely well and the baffle came right out. Hope this helps.

coopernicus, thanks for the feeback. The tech I spoke to told me specifically not to grab the cross bar but rather attack it from the end where it joins the pipe and use a slide hammer to tap it out. He also mentioned to warm it to operating temp first. I have an old set of Pythons I'm going to practice on. Thanks again!!!

Russ; I had Rush slip on's, and it wasn't too hard to get the baffles out. Attacking from the inlet end is best as you were told. It took me a while to learn that my big wood dowel had too much "give". A couple whacks with a metal rod did the trick. If the pipes have been on for long, there won't be any glass left.

Pete. thanks for the feedback, that is just what the tech @ Rush said as far as glass and attacking at the inlet. I was planning on using a wood dowel but I'll opt for a pipe now. Thanks!:)

The rest of the story..... First thanks for all suggestions, very much appreciated.
I tried and tried to get out the baffles, the rear slip on came out about 1/3 of the way and got stuck tight, was not going to try the other. Called Rush again for further suggestions, the tech told me I could send them the slip-ons and they would remove the old ones install the new ones and they even sent me a shipping label to cover postage there and back. Best of all they did this for the price of the new baffles:) Down side I'm waiting to get them back, hopefully by Monday.

Got in my new yes, new slip-ons Tuesday. Called Rush and the service person said they also had trouble removing the baffles, so they sent me a brand new set of slip-ons with the 2.25 in. baffles. not only that, they also sent me a set of 1.75 inch baffles refurbished. i.e., glass wrapped and ready to go. The level of customer service blew me away.
Installed the mufflers Thursday and took her out Friday. Had to remap the fuelpak, no problem and what a difference the pipes make, a deeper sound and a little better performance, just what I had in mind.:D

Back