free website stats program Bad Regulator/Bike Won't Start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Regulator/Bike Won't Start

I'm still hoping that one of our members with electronic knowledge will give us some guidance here. If the switch is bad it is not very expensive to replace. Let us know how it goes.

Hey all, me again, so I have followed everything that we have discussed so far.

The voltage regulator, coil and ignition switch were bad so they were replaced. I also replaced the starter relay just for good measure. I was unable to get the battery checked but the volts read good.

When I turn the ignition on no lights come on except dash lights and blinkers, no brake tail or head lamps.......

The bike was turning over but not starting before I replaced everything, now the bike is not turning over at all, I can here the starter relay clicking but that is it.

In looking at my wiring diagram I believe that my lights, ignition, and main breakers have burned out is that possible? How do you test them or can you?

:cheers

You say the Volts read good on the battery, but was it LOAD tested? As far as your breakers go they normally don't burn out, they trip out and then reset when the short or ground has been fixed. You should have 3 of them. 1-30amp. main,1-15 amp. ign.,1-15 amp lights/acc. If you use a test light start with the main and see if you have voltage/light on both terminals. If you don't disconnect the wires on the load side then recheck for light. Do the same for the other breakers. Power side is normally the copper stud on the breakers. Once you determine which wire is tripping the breaker follow it out and look for a short or a grounded/burned wire.
tourbox

I also replaced the starter relay
I can here the starter relay clicking but that is it.

When you say 'starter relay', do you mean the small cube (1"x1"x1") relay or do you mean the starter solenoid that's mounted on top of the starter motor.

If you mean the small cube relay, you may want to also try this. Clip you voltmeter directly across the battery. Place the transmission in neutral. Leave ignition key off. Take a piece of 12 gauge wire and jump between the positive of the battery and the Green wire at the starter (you will see a nice spark). Watch the meter when you make contact with the jumper. Does the engine crank? If so what does meter read while cranking. If it does not crank, what does the meter read in volts while the jumper is in place.

You say the Volts read good on the battery, but was it LOAD tested? As far as your breakers go they normally don't burn out, they trip out and then reset when the short or ground has been fixed. You should have 3 of them. 1-30amp. main,1-15 amp. ign.,1-15 amp lights/acc. If you use a test light start with the main and see if you have voltage/light on both terminals. If you don't disconnect the wires on the load side then recheck for light. Do the same for the other breakers. Power side is normally the copper stud on the breakers. Once you determine which wire is tripping the breaker follow it out and look for a short or a grounded/burned wire.
tourbox

Ok, Volts are good I was unable to get it load tested the places I took it to could not do it..... I will take it to the HD dealer this weekend. I did not believe the breakers would go bad but I had to ask. Would they not reset after disconnecting the battery for a period of time? I will go through the steps you describe. Thanks for the input!

When you say 'starter relay', do you mean the small cube (1"x1"x1") relay or do you mean the starter solenoid that's mounted on top of the starter motor.

If you mean the small cube relay, you may want to also try this. Clip you voltmeter directly across the battery. Place the transmission in neutral. Leave ignition key off. Take a piece of 12 gauge wire and jump between the positive of the battery and the Green wire at the starter (you will see a nice spark). Watch the meter when you make contact with the jumper. Does the engine crank? If so what does meter read while cranking. If it does not crank, what does the meter read in volts while the jumper is in place.

Yes, I replaced the relay not the solenoid, I will try this on Saturday when I have time.

Does this mean that the solenoid is bad if the engine does not crank?

Thanks for the input!

Back