free website stats program bad rear tire mileage | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

bad rear tire mileage

My guess,,,,, at 16,000 miles there is no tread for rain in the center area of the tire. That's not for me. I'm at the middle of my 3rd rear tire with 20,000 miles on the bike. I got a little more milage out of the factory stock Dunlop tire but I like the softer compound of the ME880's in the rain. I think what your getting for milage is not far from normal.

It also depends where you live. In ElPaso Texas where it rains 3 days a year, I might push it further.
You are right Hoople, I got 15k on a rear once, but there wasn't many spots on it with tread. Too, too dangerous. Slipped around alot. I'll never do that again. I'm averaging 8k to 11k on the last three. Still using thr stock Dunlops.

04 Road Glide and it seems like two rear tires for every front tire. 10k maybe 11k on rear, but that's pushing it.

2012 RK original tire 2000 mi [road hazard] with replacement tire the bike had just tripped 20,000 [another road hazard] the tread was almost down to the wear marker. I never thought I would see 18,000 on a dunlop tire.

04 Road Glide and it seems like two rear tires for every front tire. 10k maybe 11k on rear, but that's pushing it.

Now that is about what I get on my RG. All these members that put 18 to20,000mi on tires just amaze me. I have been riding since I was 12 and I don't think I have ever had a rear tire get more than 12 or 13,000 mi. I remember back in the 70's if I got 6,000mi out of the rear tire I thought it was great.

I personally believe the biggest contributing wear factor is the right wrist factor in conjuntion with the amount of torque developed by the big V-Twin engine. Add in the different types of road surfaces (concrete, Various types of Asphalt, the number of and total degrees of turns per mile as well as the speed traveling those miles). I also believe that bigger tires will give you a little bigger foot print meaning the tires rubber may be a little more efficeint in overcoming all of the above factors.

I just replaced my rear 402 and had just over 13000. I run 39.5 psi in the rear, 36 in the front. 2006 Street Glide. Jake wilson has great prices by the way.

I've never heard of 25,000 miles on a Dunlop D407. On my 2010 Limited I get around the high 13's on both front and rear.

Always got around 10k on stock Dunlop's. Went to E-3's and got 17k best yet. I check pressure weekly..40 rear..38 ft. 07 FLHT. Just got a 13 Flhtcu. We'll see how the new ones work out. Good luck

Back