free website stats program bad rear tire mileage | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

bad rear tire mileage

I have an 03 Ultra. I have always run stock HD Dunlops. I can never get more than 8000-10,000 miles from a rear tire. I don't do burn outs or abuse them in anyway. I am not packing a bunch of gear and we are not large people. Most of my riding is done solo(back and forth to work). I put on around 14,000 a year and I have about 69,000 miles on my bike. 2 rear tires a year is terrible!. I have the tires mounted on the rims and then install the wheel and tire myself as I have for the past 35 years. The wheel runs true and swing arm bushings are good. I read about people getting 16,000 on a rear tire. What am I doing wrong???
Hi,
I'm a new comer to Harleys.
My first and only Harley is a used 2009 Ultra.
The tire a on the bike were new when I purchased the used bike. After wearing out the OEM tire I went with the American Elite and then the Michelin.
180/65B16 ( 81H) Dunlop D407 rear motor cycle tire: about 8k miles
180/65B-16 (81H) Dunlop American Elite Rear Motorcycle Tire: about 8k miles
Michelin 180/65 B16 M/C 81H: newly installed....milage. TBD
WAP.gif

It is hard to believe that you have new frame (2009) and did replaced twice at 8000 miles. Something is wrong... Can you explain us what is your riding habit? I purchased 2010 Road King Classic (same frame as yours) last June 2010 and haven't replace the tires yet. As yesterday, I put 17,400 miles on it and will probably need about 4,000 miles more... :newsmile053:

Why does there have to be something wrong? I keep the tires inflated to 40-41 psi. I ride mostly highway miles, cruising at 90 mi/hr. I am also an aggressive rider. i ride year round too. ;:)
WAP.gif

Thanks for your replied. There are a lot of people who own 2008 or earlier and their tires last 8k, or 10k miles. I don't know if you are first one who own 2009 or newer to said that. That is why it was puzzled me. Sometime, I was aggressive rider but never spinning the wheel. Maybe we will wait and see what others to say... You are lucky that you are year around rider! :bigsmiley8:

I have NOT read all the post...

My tires on the 09 King...

Using the stock HD tires on the bike I got a 26,000 Front and 29,000 Read miles and still could have gotten a little more from both.

Changed rear to another new stock HD replacement (no little white wall):(... Yes, this stock replacement got only 26,000 and cupping (front the same on the replacement cupping also)

The third tire on the rear is still there with plenty of tread for riding left.... It also is stock HD Type replacement as Original equipment...

I'd better LOOK as it is getting a little bumpy on smooth roads leaning left and right.(cupping) OR it could be all the Tar Snakes down here where I ride...

I find that that type of mileage won't allow me to try other brands again on the King...

I have tried Many if not all other tires, Michelin, Avon venom X's, Bridgestones, Metzeler. Ty-won Tillies and chopstick harry's........ at one time or another but getting over twenty thousand PLUS,,, Stock replacements ARE keepers in my book..

Jus Say'n

signed....BUBBIE

29,000 miles is a lot!!! I think I read somewhere here that one guy got 33,000 miles on his tire. Boy!!! We will see about my tires. :D

29,000 miles is a lot!!! I think I read somewhere here that one guy got 33,000 miles on his tire. Boy!!! We will see about my tires. :D

I Do believe that type of tire mileage IS possible.

I Always change out earlier than some do...
Knowing I could have gotten 33 out of the rear on that first rear tire...They DO have a lot of rubber on them.

I think a lot of it has to do with good Roads and Less Wrist...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Update: I replaced tires with Dunlop (Harley) tires. Put in new rear axle and cam washer and made sure alignment was on the money when I tightened it down. Tires now have 3000+ miles on them and still look great!. I think the wore out axle and cam washed was the biggest contributing factor. Thanks for all the help!

Back