free website stats program Bad odour smell, yuck... - ETIMS Rear Cylinder shut off | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad odour smell, yuck... - ETIMS Rear Cylinder shut off

Stylz

Hi there -

I don't find anyone posting complaints about this issue, and it surprises me. Or maybe I'm not searching right.

I have a 2009 FLTR, and I find the exhaust blech smell so strong when ETIMS kicks in, that I have disabled ETIMS. It's hard to breathe comfortably, in fact, when it's on.

I get the impression the degree of odour varies bike to bike. My bud has a 2009 Electra Glide, and he doesn't notice any smell at all.

What are you're experiences? Is there some adjustment I can do somewhere to reduce the potency of this exhaust smell?

]{evin

Mine came on last year in Gatlinburg,the smell was terrible almost a rotting egg smell. I don't have the option of shutting mine off.If you rev it like a fool you can keep it from engaging when sitting at extreme temperatures.On the plus side it only activates when stuck in traffic at temperatures above 100*

Hi there -

I don't find anyone posting complaints about this issue, and it surprises me. Or maybe I'm not searching right.

I have a 2009 FLTR, and I find the exhaust blech smell so strong when ETIMS kicks in, that I have disabled ETIMS. It's hard to breathe comfortably, in fact, when it's on.

I get the impression the degree of odour varies bike to bike. My bud has a 2009 Electra Glide, and he doesn't notice any smell at all.

What are you're experiences? Is there some adjustment I can do somewhere to reduce the potency of this exhaust smell?

]{evin

You may have cats on the bike and that would account for the bad smell with the ETIMS working.

I haven't enabled mine yet. Just a little leary of it not working right maybe. Just a little curious is there anyone else who has theres disabled?

im assuming you mean the smell of fuel?

No, it's definitely not the smell of fuel. That's a very sweet smell by comparison.

STEVE07 sounds pretty close... dunno that I would say "rotten eggs", but it's not far off... something between that mixed with raw exhaust fumes.

Glider, yes, I might have cats. Gotta check. I think I read that all Canadian models do... and my pipes are still (gasp!) stock.

]{evin

I have mine disabled, my dealer told me not to even turn it on unless i'm in a parade or heavy city traffic. mine is off and don't plan on being in either places....

I did have a issue at 32 miles though, the bike ran, but didn't have any throttle. I ran at 2000 rpm and nothing else. dealer told me it was the ETIMS but i don't think so never happened again.

I automatically engage my ETIMS every time I get on my 09 Road Glide because I come from the water cooled world and I'm paranoid about overheating. It's kicked in briefly a few times and I've noticed a slightly different smell. However, the smell wasn't strong, offensive or overwhelming. Maybe I'm just less sensitive to smells than other people. I'd check out the cat angle.

Back