free website stats program Bad Noise, Need Help Please! | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Noise, Need Help Please!

johng3d

I have a 2000 Road King w/5,100 miles. I noticed a noise that seemed like it was coming from the primary side. It got louder and started making an intermintent clink/rattle sound. I was advised to check the compensator bolt, I took it off, cleaned it applied some locktite and retorked it to 165 ft./lbs. It did not make any difference. The noise persists whether it is in gear or neutral, engaged or dis-engaged. I am at a loss. Could it be a defective compensator assemble or am I barking up the wrong side of the engine? (Cam adjusters / bearings?)

Yes I did! Someone mensioned some type of flaw in the end play of the compensator, ever heard of that. (Shim/mill)

Not for nothing hard to diagnose something like that over the computer. It could be a variety of things with a clink/rattle! Could be a loose bolt anywhere on that side or the other side. Check all the exhaust shields and pipes, look for anything loose.

Well I put a stick on it. It sure sounds like it is coming fron the cam side!
The bike only has 5,100 miles on it. What the Edit could go wrong in that amount of time. Is there any recourse with the manufacturer?

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

I just took apart the air cleaner assembly. It seems to me that an excessive amount of oil has accummilated in the bottom of the air cleaner cover and the bottom of the filter is saturated! Could this be a symptom of cam problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil in the breather cover and or slicking down the right side on twincams can be be the breather kits under the rockerarm covers, just went thru replacing mine a while back.

I just took apart the air cleaner assembly. It seems to me that an excessive amount of oil has accummilated in the bottom of the air cleaner cover and the bottom of the filter is saturated! Could this be a symptom of cam problems?
It could be the breathers, but since you have some sort of noise down by the cams, I would say more likely an oil pump problem. Something internal in the pump may have gone out.

With the miles on that bike look to the lifters if you have a sticky one in will make that sound my buddys did it and his sat alot which i beleive caust it,jel

I have a 2000 Road King w/5,100 miles. I noticed a noise that seemed like it was coming from the primary side. It got louder and started making an intermintent clink/rattle sound. I was advised to check the compensator bolt, I took it off, cleaned it applied some locktite and retorked it to 165 ft./lbs. It did not make any difference. The noise persists whether it is in gear or neutral, engaged or dis-engaged. I am at a loss. Could it be a defective compensator assemble or am I barking up the wrong side of the engine? (Cam adjusters / bearings?)

Check up your VIN on MOCO website Wrench Department and check if Your bike is one with the bad rear cam bearing. Manufactured between okt -98 to dec 99. MOCO had an extended warrenty for 5 years and 50.000 miles on that bikes.

I heard the noise from the left side but it came from the cambearing on the right. Had the same problem with my -99 RC and hade to change cams, bearings, oilplate, camchain, lifters and the warranty took it all 2002.

Last edited:
I'm Back! I apologize to the forum for my passionate verbage. I Found the problem, Cam Bearing. (see Pics) This 2000 RK TC88 had only 5,100 miles on it. Guess I was one of the unlucky ones! When owning a Harley always trust your instincts. Ya they all make noise but if you know your bike and the normal sounds it makes your gut will tell you when somethings not right, no matter how much knowledge you have. I had some tell me it was my imagination until it got worse, then some steered me towards wrong areas. When in doubt do as I did and tear it down. The most you are out is a little time and some gaskets.
On the bright side I caught it before it caused catastrophic damage and a more costly repair bill. At least now I can take this opportunity to correct a problem that HD knew they had and ignored for a period of time. It's a shame to spend the type of money we all do to own one of these legends only to have spend more money to correct poor engineering. SHAME ON THEM!
I am torn between a gear drive conversion or the upgraded roller with hydraulic tensioners. I checked my crank runout and at least it at an acceptable .002.
I welcome any thoughts or input, thanks for listening!

Attachments

• Cam Assembly Parts close up.jpg
    Cam Assembly Parts close up.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Cam Plate close up.jpg
    Cam Plate close up.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Crank End close up.jpg
    Crank End close up.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 39
Back