free website stats program Bad noise near rear cylinder 05 deluxe | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad noise near rear cylinder 05 deluxe

tatts1377

Recently rode 100 mph for a constant 25 miles. Since then I can hear a bad noise and the plug on my rear cylinder keeps fouling, almost immediatly. My compresion is good. My fuel mixture is good, my plug wires ohm within spec. I cant find the source of the noise which sounds like a old car deisling after you shut off the ignition. The noise seems to get worse after warm up. I pulled the engine apart and can not find anything wrong. Prior to pulling it apart i used a mech's stehescope and the noise sounds like it is coming from inside the crankcase arounf the oil line fittings as they go into the cam housing. My cam chains and tensioners are good, the pushrods are good, the valves seem ok (great compression). I am not sure that I want to split the crankcase. My suspision is the rear sproket on the counterbalance chain. Could I be right or is ther something else I should chek before spliting the crankcase? PLEAS HELP

Did you pull the Primary inspection cover and check Primary chain tension?
Also you could check the front compensator sprocket and alternator rotor. They have been known to loosen up on some bikes and make a heck of a mess when they come apart.
Good Luck!
Dave

Is the plug gas fouling or have a lot of carbon on the electrode area? Its hard to trace sounds but you could have a cam bearing going down, that could make a light thumping noise. If its a real noticeable knock I would look toward the primary side near the compensator.

Plug fouling on an '05 indicates bad valve stem seals.Common problem for that year.If the seals are black in color they're junk.You have two problems,not one.As far as your noise from here it sounds like a counter balancer issue.Oil pressure is key to the tensioner operating properly.Sounds like you may be splitting the case my friend.You will need special tools.No getting around it.Check the FACTORY service manual for answers.

Back