Bad Motor

Thanks Bubbie

I will go to the harley shop (where the bike is) tomorrow and
check to see which bearing and where. Where at on the frame is the
build date?

thanks again

Animal

ps. I couldn't be that lucky

No Rev Tech Motors, cheap import major problems even with there 110 JMO I would not want one and I have worked on them:s

Thanks Bubbie

I will go to the harley shop (where the bike is) tomorrow and
check to see which bearing and where. Where at on the frame is the
build date?

thanks again

Animal

ps. I couldn't be that lucky

It is located on the front down tube.... face the bike while it's on the side stand Looking from the right tire side facing engine and look Left Across to the frame tube (easiest way to see it)....it will say Build Date.
You may need a flashlight but it is big and bold on the sticker there...

If it is a early one,,,, They would have a hard time NOT proving it was the problem!

signed....BUBBIE

Hey Bubbie

You were right. It was the rear cam outside bearing in the cam support plate.
Build date is 11-99. Now what do i do? The service advisor at the HD dealer gave me a direct Harley phone number to call. Do you have someone I can call?

Thanks for all your help

Animal

Hey Bubbie

You were right. It was the rear cam outside bearing in the cam support plate.
Build date is 11-99. Now what do i do? The service advisor at the HD dealer gave me a direct Harley phone number to call. Do you have someone I can call?

Thanks for all your help

Animal

Bubbie

This bike only has 17,000 miles on it.

Animal

You can call but I would think the dealer who repairs the bike should...

I would think the Dealer Should get in touch with Harley, They do all the work that Will Be required to make the engine Rebuild,,, ALL that needs to be done.. The usual procedure is to get it to the Shop that you want to do the work and harley Should do the rest..

I think OTHERS here like Chopper might have a better way and Know what to do..

I will PM Chopper and ask him to reply here....
LUCKY YOU!!! My badgering finally Might of PAID_OFF... Keep it simple and all should go under Harleys repair.. $$$ saved...

If it is too bad, they might have to really get a "New" Re-man for you...

signed....BUBBIE

You can call but I would think the dealer who repairs the bike should...

I would think the Dealer Should get in touch with Harley, They do all the work that Will Be required to make the engine Rebuild,,, ALL that needs to be done.. The usual procedure is to get it to the Shop that you want to do the work and harley Should do the rest..

I think OTHERS here like Chopper might have a better way and Know what to do..

I will PM Chopper and ask him to reply here....
LUCKY YOU!!! My badgering finally Might of PAID_OFF... Keep it simple and all should go under Harleys repair.. $$$ saved...

If it is too bad, they might have to really get a "New" Re-man for you...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie a new reman would be nice on there dime Good post, Jack:s

Harley should make good on the engine by replacing it. There were bad bearings in that time frame and they wouldn't do anything until the engine let go then they would replace it.

There are a LOT of 1999 and Early 2000, 1/2 year bikes out there... I Hope Others who own them, will get to read about your problem and CHECK their build date..

The ball style bearing on the drive cam is easy to change-out BUT harley found it cheaper to ignore the problem until it Happened and MAYBE all would forget about it... They Did own-up to the problem and gave their guidelines on how and Only when they would repair the problem

A lucky few, one like you, every once in a while, hear about it "in time" to take advantage of their "written promise" to do the repair Later if and when it occurred...

I hope they do you right,. They may elect to Clean up the old motor as they have on so many and replace the needed parts affected by the Blown motor..

My biggest problem I had about this ISSUE was the way they (HD) went about the repair, saying (from my memory) the cam-chest didn't affect the whole engine....

They opted to clean the oil system,drop oil tank, clean out lines, installing New oil pump and ALL the parts in the cam-chest with new parts... Many were MAD at HD for their idea that "it only affected the ONE area"..

I for one of many, Replaced the problem early on with the Roller style bearing that replaced the ball style (ball style way too light and wrong design to hold up under load, driving two cams) The new one and their replacement was like night to day and I have heard of no problems once replaced...

When I went to gear drive, the older style ball bearing was used without a problem as it didn't have the Load of Both Cams..

I still kept the Roller style when I converted over to gear...

Keep us informed about the progress so the others can read about this problem waiting to happen to them...

You said that yours LOW mileage of 17,000?? .. That is about where Most were having the problem show up! 12,/17, area and that is why HD saved money on this repair....

More out there and yes it is a Ticking-Time-BOMB...

signed....BUBBIE

No help from HD. Dealer gave us a number to call at Harley. We called friday and we were told that they could not do anything because of the time. 10 years. So thats it, no help from harley. Now back to square one. Finding
someone to rebuild my motor.

Animal

Back