free website stats program Bad Motor | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Motor

Haven't posted for a while. Got a 2000 Heritage Softail Classic last oct. Put on 2000 miles this year. Motor failed. Cam shaft bearing cage disintagrated.
Options, should I get a reman HD motor or an after market motor. HD wants
$3600 for reman and install. I can get a 110 cu in Ultra or Rev Tech for about $4000 plus install. I have two kids in college. My HD dream has turned into a nightmare. Just want some opinions. Are remanufactured engines reliable?
It would have a 1 year warrenty, but a 1000 mile break in. I don't put that many miles on in a year. Maybe 3-4000. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Animal.

Flip a coin if you dont ride many miles the warrentys wont do you much good . can you install it your self and cut the cost?

ont know how far u are from levittown pa.( say brains HD.) local shop there pen jersey cycle Jack is a great guy to do bussiness with. they do old school to present reasonible prices just a thought here

Haven't posted for a while. Got a 2000 Heritage Softail Classic last oct. Put on 2000 miles this year. Motor failed. Cam shaft bearing cage disintagrated.
$3600 for reman and install. I can get a 110 cu in Ultra or Rev Tech for about $4000 plus install. I have two kids in college. My HD dream has turned into a nightmare. Just want some opinions. Are remanufactured engines reliable?
It would have a 1 year warrenty, but a 1000 mile break in. I don't put that many miles on in a year. Maybe 3-4000. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Animal.
I would go with the Harley motor. Mainly on price. It is hard to put 5K in 9K bike.

I don't know were Hickory PA is. But if it anywhere near Bethleham PA you should call JD at JD's Cycle Works. He maybe able to offer another option. He has an Oustanding reputation.

Will a new 88b fit from Harley? Their website says 4k for the silver and polished plus labor.

Thanks

Animal.

WAS It the rear cam OUTSIDE bearing that failed???? the ball bearing in the cam support plate??? AND
If it is an "Early 2000" like mine was???
Harley HAS to stand behind it!!!
On the 1999 and 2000 early model,,,, Early Frame "Build Date dec 15 - 1999 OR Earlier"..
The use of a ball style bearing caused Many to Blow-up..

These were the bearing on the Drive cam side, They were replaced on the Late run of that model year...

Check your frame date and Report back to me and I will give you more information if it IS that BALL style bearing On the drive cam and IN The support plate......

HARLEY HAS To Repair It... No matter how many owners or miles on the bike.... They would NOT replace it UNTIL it failed...

I KNOW this cause I owned an Early 2000 TC...

Harley had a memo out back then say"""" they would only repair the problem when bearing went BAD.... A few were lucky that they discovered a Ticking Before the bearing went completely Bad...

I really Hope this is the case...

signed....BUBBIE

Back