free website stats program Bad Luck | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Luck

it was the pin on the power commander that broke in my main harness not the ECM, sent the power commander back to fuel moto to be repaired, hope this helps

Your Map sensor was a combo (4 wire) sensor which included the outside air temperature,, Is that correct?

Take a close look at both male and female portions of position #25 of the ECM connector. That is the ECM input for the MAP sensor.

There is a un-used 3 wire connector that is down by the Jiffy stand. It has 3 wires going to it. Red/White,,,Green/Brown,, Solid Black. By any chance can you locate that un-used connector?

ok, i checked #25 and they look good but could not find the other wire, the map sensor snaps into the top of my intake and yes it has 4 wires, all we done was remove the power commander and got the broke pin out of my harness, do you think we could have shorted something out but if we did wouldn't it just blow a fuse ?

but if we did wouldn't it just blow a fuse ?

The only problem with blowing fuses on these bikes is HD uses 15 amp fuses for just about everything. Since the fuses are so large in capacity, it is always possible to do damage even before the fuse has time to react and melt open. Most thermal fuses are rated to 150% for 1 second before they melt. That means you can draw over 22 amps for at least 1 second before a 15 amp fuse will blow. For solid state transistors & components, 1 second is like a Year in time.

Would you be able to easily remove the Map sensor connector (at the Map sensor itself) and take some voltage readings?

sure, do i need the key on or off, so i we shorted 1 of those wires where the ECM plugs into why would it keep giving me a map sensor code

so i we shorted 1 of those wires where the ECM plugs into why would it keep giving me a map sensor code

I don't really understand what your saying.

This is what you need to do.
Disconnect the Map sensor connector. Turn ON the ignition and run switch.
(The ECM Connector should be attached and connected to the ECM.)

1) At the Map connector => Measure the DC voltage between the Black/White (-) and the Red/White (+) on the disconnected map plug. Do you read 5 volts.

2) Tune off the ignition. Now disconnect the ECM plug. Measure the resistance between the Violet/White wire at the Map sensor and Pin #25 at the ECM cable side. Do you measure ~Zero ohms?

3) With ignition Off. Measure the resistance of Lite Green/Yellow wire at the Map connector and Pin #7 of the ECM plug (cable). Do you measure ~ Zero ohms.?

By any chance did you "Hot-Plug" anything before this problem started. By that I mean, did you unplug the ECM cable or MAP sensor cable while the ignition was turned or while the bike was running. Did you ever see any sparks along the way while plugging in or disconnecting any plugs or connectors. Have you blown any fuses since this problem started.

I have got to run right now. If you don't have the issue resolved by the morning, we can continue then.

Make sure the connector that you pluged the p/c into is good. The male pins have to fit tight in the female pins. If you broke off a pin and then pulled it out, you might have a loose fit in the female pin. Check all of them even at the map sensor.
I work on cars for a living and have fixed many ECM and sensor problems by repairing loose pins. The biggest mistake people make is jabbing something into the female pin to test the wire with their meeter causing a poor conection.
I'm not saying you did this, just don't over look it.
I hope you find the problem.

Back