free website stats program Bad luck! | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad luck!

diver4life

Today I changed the 3 oils of my bike. Everything was going good until I started loosening the tranny drain plug, I noticed the drain plug was not tight. When I took it out I noticed a lot of kinda teflon paste around the bolt and pieces of metal from the oil pan tread came with the bolt, also the o-ring was in pieces.

It is a brand new bike, just put on the bike 230 miles. What me makes me think that the mechanic at the dealer applied to much torque or something and tried to correct the problem with the Teflon paste or loktite when they installed the engine chrome kit before I took the bike home. Tomorrow I will take the bike to the dealer for the warranty. Hopefully they will change the oil pan. That is a bad LuCK!

Does anybody know if this is a hard work to do? Can I do it myself if the stealer refuse to fix it? Do I have to take the engine out? I will try to do all I can to make them fix what they messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diver4life, since this is a brand new bike, do you think that loose tranny drain plug and o-ring was from the PDI the dealer did when you took delivery? May have to get an o-ring, button it back as best you can and find out if the dealer will make it right...JMO.

Hello guys, the thing is that when I bought the bike I made them install the engine chrome kit, so probably they drained the fluid before installing the kit. Also the other 2 drain plugs were tighted compared to the tranny plug. While the 3 plugs had paste teflon, this one in particular had a lot more. Also the pieces of metal that came out when I drained the tranny were around the plug with the form of the bolt(rounded pieces) so I know it is not from inside, and when I reinstalled and tried to aplly the torque it kept loose. It is not leaking but it is a new bike and I need to correct the problem even if they dont honor the warranty. Anyway, probably today I'm going to have better luck after talking with the service manager. If somebody know the procedure to take out the oil pan, just in case.
Thanks..

but it is a new bike and I need to correct the problem even if they dont honor the warranty. If somebody know the procedure to take out the oil pan, just in case.
Thanks..

I am sure this happened while prepping your bike for delivery. I am also sure they will cover all the work under warranty.

Gotta say your probably going to live to be 100 years old and be Happy the entire time. If this had happen to me with a brand new bike, I would be raging mad,, probably loading magazine clips and my blood pressure would be off the scale.

I do admire your patience & understanding toward the entire ordeal.

Thanks Hoople, apreciate your comments, but let me tell you that I,m kind of mad too and worried. Hopefully like you said they will cover the fix.

Last time I took one of mine to the dealer for its 500 mile check-up ,I pulled in my garage only to see primary fluid all over the ground and my bike. I called them pretty upset because the service lacked any kinda quality check.
They came and pick-up the bike and fixed it.

well at least they took care of your's. You know my big concern in all this matter is that if they try to blame me and not taking responsabilities. But let me tell you that this bike is my 1rst harley so it is my toy man. But I have owned several bikes in my lifetime. Belive me I take a good care of my toy, probably to much. When I changed the fluids I did it with the service manual on hands , doing everything very carefully. Thanks bro.

Back