free website stats program Bad Gas??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Gas???

I've heard many times not to fill up if you see the semi-tanker filling the station tanks. The sediment can get churned up and float around for a while.

With 10% ethanol in the gas here I wonder how much separation occurs as high test isn't used too much anymore? Gas that sits seperates and causes lots of problems with lawn quipment especially 2 cycle units that sit all winter or summer.

Someone told me that he puts in 87 octane in every other fill up. 87 is used by most people and is probably the freshest gas. Not a lot of cars these days use premium so the gas really just sits in the tanks at the station collecting water and who knows what else. Again, for the freshest gas us 87 octane with a few ounces of octane boast in between each fill up with 90 plus octane. Update, the BP station manager was suppose to call me today but that phone call never came. Adios BP but nice job in cleaning up the Gulf Coast.

Someone told me that he puts in 87 octane in every other fill up. 87 is used by most people and is probably the freshest gas. Not a lot of cars these days use premium so the gas really just sits in the tanks at the station collecting water and who knows what else. Again, for the freshest gas us 87 octane with a few ounces of octane boast in between each fill up with 90 plus octane. Update, the BP station manager was suppose to call me today but that phone call never came. Adios BP but nice job in cleaning up the Gulf Coast.
It's your bike but I can tell you I burned a hole in a piston on my Sportster back in 88 and I still think it was from using octane booster. After rebuilding I have never put any additives in the tank but Marvel Mystery Oil. The flip side is I'll never really know for sure.

It's your bike but I can tell you I burned a hole in a piston on my Sportster back in 88 and I still think it was from using octane booster. After rebuilding I have never put any additives in the tank but Marvel Mystery Oil. The flip side is I'll never really know for sure.

Octane booster (when used as directed) is not really designed to give low priced fuel the performance of racing fuel. It is designed to reduce the tendency for knock (detonation, pre-ignition, ping) in a motor. I would dare say that the octane booster (if used as directed) was not the cause of a burned piston, but rather the "knock" Here's a great article on it.
All About Detonation and Preignition - There IS a Difference!

Same symptoms as a crack fuel line inside the fuel tank. Once the fuel system starts to suck in air the bike will misfire and just plain run bad.

I've used seafoam in every internal combustion engine I've owned for years with no ill effects if you have had a bad experiance with I would sure like to hear it:bigsmiley23:

I've used seafoam in every internal combustion engine I've owned for years with no ill effects if you have had a bad experiance with I would sure like to hear it:bigsmiley23:
Thanks, picked up a can at my Walmart today. Going to use it on the lawn equipment.

Back