free website stats program Bad Gas?? 08 Heritage Stock | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Gas?? 08 Heritage Stock

bcortani

Hi all. Just returned from a two week camping/bike vacation in Seaside Oregon. Had a blast and put on some decent miles. here is what happened. On first arriving at fort Stevens (where we stayed) I filled up at the local Fred Meyer in Hammond. Headed to campsite and parked bike for the night. The next morning, out and about riding and bike ran great until she warmed up, I noticed then as I was heading into Seaside with slow moving traffic that it was having a hard time staying at an idle, skipping and missing and popping (sounded like backfire but never saw any flames). I also noticed on hard accelleration while at highway speeds, it would cut out and hesitate when I turned the throttle. it then sounded like it was running on one cyclinder (lawn mower sound)., This was of course on a Sunday over the 4th of July weekend, so no dealers or shops around open...also, fyi-nearest HD shop is Boring Oregon 2+ hrs away. Parked her and walked around seaside with family for a few hrs. Started her back up cold and she ran great...until warm again and same symptoms. Tuesday ame and I spoke to HD mechanic over phone. he said bad gas and to just grit my teeth and run her out with some good premium. I did this and two fill ups later (well, top-offs) bike was running great again when warm. filled up using Premium at Cheveron in LongBeach and 5 minutes later...BOOM! same symptoms. Took me 1 1/2 tanks of Shell premium to resolve the problem and bike is running great again. Question?? What is going on? Bad gas or is something else going on here? Thanks. Oh, HD mechanic said not to run additives as it could screw up my o2 sensors.

I did this and two fill ups later (well, top-offs) bike was running great again when warm.

My experience shows "top offs" don't work. If problem comes back or persists, check your fuel pump pressure and make sure it's within specs (58-62). Also check for any DTC's as a precautionary measure.

I would imagine that if you had bad gas and kept topping off the tank instead of draining it completely you were never really getting all the old gas out. By topping off you were only diluting the bad gas. Hopefully its all out of the system by now but if the symptoms come back I would drain the tank completely and start over fresh. Maybe even change the fuel filter while your at it.

thanks for the advice. I will search the tips section for how to drain the tank and change out the filter...we are getting lots of wet weather right now so I wnat to hold off until I can get another ride in to make sure it is running good before I go to the maintence. If it ran through and is gone I may still change out the filter just to be safe. Thanks again all.

...and if water was in there, you could still have a bubble floating around that topping off might not break up enough to run though.
wilks3
:USA

TaDa !
Its SeaFoam to the rescue again .
Buy you a $10.00 can of this stuff & follow directions . 02 sensor safe !
:newsmile036:

I have my bottle from the winter storage, that is already being put in...didn't think to take it with me on vacation...derr:small3d029:

Back