free website stats program Bad fuel pump? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad fuel pump?

Fuel pump doesn't run, checked fuse and relay. I unplugged the fuel pump connector and hooked my meter up to the black ground and the orange/grey wire and when I turn the key on they is 12v for about 1.5 seconds.
I then ran a set of jumpers from the battery to the pump side of the connector and still doesn't run pump. I can't remember if there are any connectors inside tank that could cause a problem (I doubt there is). Does anyone know for sure?

Have you checked the self help section? You also need to check your manual, if you don't have one it is one of the most cost effective things you will buy for your bike.

It is normal to only see power on the fuel pump wires for two seconds. That is a safety feature and is designed to only Prime the system. Once the ECM sees crank sensor output, it knows the engine is Running and at that point supplies steady 12v to the pump.
If the engine is not actually running, power to the pump is only for 2 seconds or so.

So it sounds like your electrical system is OK and the problem is inside your tank.

Thanks Hoople, going thru the electrial diagnostic manual everything outside the tank checks out OK, now at the point of pulling the pump plate and checking connections inside the tank.

Thanks for lookin HDDon, I have all the manuals.

Last edited:
Thanks Hoople, going thru the electrial diagnostic manual everything outside the tank checks out OK, now at the point of pulling the pump plate and checking connections inside the tank.

Thanks for lookin HDDon, I have all the manuals.

Don't forget to replace the plate gasket as well as the sealing washers when you put it back together.

Wish I could have been more help than just ask the obvious question. I would really like to know what the problem and solution is once you find it.

As it turns out, there must have been a loose connection from the fuel pump plug to the connector on the top plate. This heated the connection to the point where it fryed the 90 degree connector that connects the internal to external tank wiring. Replace the connector and fired it right up.

$3 connector that H-D charges $36.

Note: The electrical diagnostic manual was spot on when it came to finding this problem.

Last edited:
Back